Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Backup battery for a 4500

+2
markfitz1
CostasDee
6 posters

Go down

Backup battery for a 4500 Empty Backup battery for a 4500

Post  Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Firstly can I replace the battery in the battery pack of my Minelab 4500? or does ML need to do it? or it cannot be done, and new battery pack is required.

If so then I am looking at a Minelab unit or Coiltek unit, I understand the Coiltek battery can be replaced, is this correct?

if both ML and CT are around the same price and functionality would prefer the ML battery.

Prospecting mate is happy with his Lucky Lark but I understand these battery packs are no longer made.

Comments appreciated.

Peter

Back to top Go down

Backup battery for a 4500 Empty Re: Backup battery for a 4500

Post  CostasDee Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi Peter,

The batteries in your ML battery can be replaced, but it is a bit of a dangerous exercise for someone that is unaware or the dangers associated with soldering Lithium batteries to perform. It would be better for you to PM a member here that has the username Mechanic, as he has been known to replace the original batteries for other members with high quality, extra capacity ones, at a fraction of the cost of a new battery.

PS Your location is marked down as Aselaide, I am presuming you mean Adelaide?
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  markfitz1 Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 pm

Probably a bit late but google battery repacking Adelaide and see how you go. Very Happy

markfitz1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:17 pm

wasn't there someone that found you could use a video camera battery a a couple of years ago?

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:27 pm

CostasDee wrote:Hi Peter,

The batteries in your ML battery can be replaced, but it is a bit of a dangerous exercise for someone that is unaware or the dangers associated with soldering Lithium batteries to perform. It would be better for you to PM a member here that has the username Mechanic, as he has been known to replace the original batteries for other members with high quality, extra capacity ones, at a fraction of the cost of a new battery.

PS Your location is marked down as Aselaide, I am presuming you mean Adelaide?

Hi Peter, I had Mechanic rebuild a battery for my 4500 a few months back, I ran it on the bench and was pleasantly surprised with the run time, I have since used it in the field on 4 separate prospecting trips for 6-7 days at a time, I am able to get 12-13 hrs runtime out of it before recharging, I alternate it's use with my other battery and I have not taken it to shutdown point as yet, I can find no fault with it and would recommend you talk with Mechanic.

Wayne.cheers 
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  pommyjohn1 Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:30 am

artrix wrote:wasn't there someone that found you could use a video camera battery a a couple of years ago?
 Try Detectormods I run a video camera battery on my 5000 as a backup cost $250 For 2 Batts plus 2 chargers. detector mods. Com but you can find them on eBay. I get about 7 Hrs using a Sadie coil
pommyjohn1
pommyjohn1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi Hye Trading Power P/L do m/l batteries ph 03 9725 1852 or www.hye.com.au they are in Croydon VIC. a friend has had a 4500 done there
regards john
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pommyjohn1 Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:42 pm

artrix wrote:wasn't there someone that found you could use a video camera battery a a couple of years ago?
detectormods.com sell the video Batt I use one all the time I get about 7 hrs using an 8x6 Sadie
pommyjohn1
pommyjohn1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-04-24

Back to top Go down