Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

swinging hands in front of coils result as a target??

2 posters

Go down

swinging hands in front of coils result as a target?? Empty swinging hands in front of coils result as a target??

Post  tribalhands Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:50 pm

quiet strange i recently bought a Tesoro Compadre.i think it works fairly well
although is a entry model.what surprises me is that when i swing my hand in front of the coil i get a signal.with my girlriend's hand it doesnt.i obviusly dont have any metal or rings on ...any info about it?? i was wondering if this is becouse some electrical tape i stuck around on the side of the coil to protect it from scratches??thanks guys
tribalhands
tribalhands
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-02-08

Back to top Go down

swinging hands in front of coils result as a target?? Empty Re: swinging hands in front of coils result as a target??

Post  kon61 Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 am

Tribalhands,welcome to the forum.

Possibly,alkali salts on or in your hands,making your hand conductive to the coil.This is a normal occurrence with VLFs than pulse induction detectors and becomes more apparent as the khz of the detector is increased.

Cheers kon61. What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

swinging hands in front of coils result as a target?? Empty Re: swinging hands in front of coils result as a target??

Post  tribalhands Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:16 pm

mmh interesting .so i believe the electric tape has nothing to do with it(?)i'll have to try on somebody else too if i get chance..thanx Smile
tribalhands
tribalhands
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:06 pm

No nothing to do with the tape.
The Compadre is fairly sensitive .
With the disc in All Metal you will probably get a hand response about an inch from the coil, it should be a bit chopped and require a fairly fast sweep of your hand.
With the disc at between foil and the 5 cent mark the response should disappear. This is very unlikely to interfere with normal detecting. If it chirps and chatters when the coil contacts wet grass there may be a coil electrostatic shielding problem.

Back to top Go down