Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SD2200d - sensitivity question

2 posters

Go down

SD2200d - sensitivity question Empty SD2200d - sensitivity question

Post  Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Sorry if this is common knowledge or has been asked/answered before:

Was out detecting this weekend, and a friend was using an SD2200d (original green one) with a standard Minelab 11" DD coil & Super Sound enhancer and speaker.

It was unable to pick up the signal from a shotgun pellet, even when the pellet was actually placed on the coil. 3 people agreed that there was no audible signal.

Is this normal??? Question

By the way, it hasn't been modded as far as I know - was bought from a ML dealer.

Back to top Go down

SD2200d - sensitivity question Empty Re: SD2200d - sensitivity question

Post  CostasDee Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi lenoil,

I use a 2200d, but with a 14"DD coil. I have done tests with the 14"DD, the 11"DD and even a joeyDD and can verify what you are saying. It's basically the DD coil, not the detector itself, because if you were to test it again with a mono coil, you would probably hear the shotgun pellet, but if you are considering using that mono coil constantly, then you will have to put up with a lot (a very lot) of ground noise, which you don't hear with the DD coil.

A shotgun pellet weights approx .2 to .3 of a gram and although I have found a nugget that small, the normal rule of thumb that I have found with my tests, is the DD coil will have difficulty picking up anything that is less than .5 of a gram.

So in summary, don't kick the 2200d, it's a damn fine machine, it's the limitations of the DD coil on smaller gold.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks, CostasDee!

Yeah, I wasn't willing to put a mono on it as the surface was covered in bits of ironstone... The 4500 with a mono in 'normal' timing was going crazy, so I didn't think the SD would've been any better.

I did notice that on larger targets (.22 bullets, etc), the SD with the 11" DD was way sharper than the 4500 with the mono and in 'enhance' timing. So I put an 11" DD on the 4500 and flicked it over to 'normal' and the response was way sharper and louder, and was able to put the coil on the ground with no troubles at all. Made me wonder what gets missed when running in 'enhance.' Although I guess that's for a different thread...

Thanks again.

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Lenoil, you have hit the nail on the head. Sometimes, although there are many that wont agree with me, it's more beneficial to put a DD on rather than flick to enhanced. Anyway, I don't have a 4500 so I'll worry about all the multitude of options available, when I finally get one to play with.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:31 am

I agree with Costas, further more, perhaps an aftermarket 11" DD might improve things, just a thought. I don't know what the stock 11" for the 2200 is like, but with some models, an aftermarket 11" DD was an improvement on the stock.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:01 pm

G'day Shinegold Coiltek came out with the DD pros and they were a very good coil on the SD and GPs. I had the 17x11 and the 11" and they were very sensitive for a DD coil. I ended up trading them in when I bought the 5000.

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Back to top Go down