Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres

+12
MS
scooter
badger
trianglemal
delapan
Back of Beyond
oznuggets
rc62burke
Harb
Fisherman
Ayounomad
mulgadansa
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres - Page 2 Empty 4x4 tyres

Post  scooter Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:36 am

Wombat I do a lot of driving on pretty rough dirt and have found that goodyear silent armour are the best tyre I have used, the Coopers just chip apart from what I have seen, a lot of people I know are not happy with the Coopers. Something to do with the hardness of them. Dont know anything about the Mickey Thompsons. all the best. Scooter

scooter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres - Page 2 Empty Re: Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres

Post  MS Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:51 am

I have been very happy with my Coopers, did 30 K with my old vehicle and when I bought a new Navara late last year got them swapped over onto the new vehicle, have done another 18K with very little signs of wear, Have used them in sand and rocky areas with no problems at all and no chipped or torn tread.
Road noise is low and traction in mud is good, I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
Looks like they will go another another 40K , the factory crap that comes with the new vehicle only lasted 35K on the old vehicle and thats why I kept the coopers and swaped tires to trade on the old vehicle.
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  scooter Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Mark glad to hear your happy with your coopers, tyres are an issue you can argue about all day, i suppose its what you are happy with that counts, my mate put cooper on his 200 cruiser and his van and both sets are very badly chipped, dealer tells him no warranty off the bitumen, that sucks. Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres - Page 2 Icon_cry Scooter.

scooter
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sun May 29, 2011 8:16 pm

madtuna wrote:Hi Wom...give a thought to taking a peek on Ebay. type in 4x4 tyres.

Lots of dealers down in Vic and often a bargain can be found. A lot of people buy a new 4x4 and the first thing they do is replace the rims and tyres with mags and a big set of muddies and flog off the originals.

I've bought heaps of tyres off Ebay over the years, most you can go check out before bidding.

Hi madtuna, Before bidding ask for the date of manufacture of the tires you want to buy, many times they are already old , I had a tires business and I can assure you that if they are more than three years old is very hard to sell at them the shop, that's why they sell them cheaper.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres - Page 2 Empty Tyre choices

Post  Buckinroo Jake Mon May 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Take a look at Hankook's 4 x 4 tyres. I have had a set on my 4x4 Chevy and I've done 40,000 kms
and they are still looking like they've got another 40,000 kms plus left.
Theyr'e not cheap, but I have found that tyres are worth digging deep for.
when you've got your family on board, No amount of money saved is worth risking on cheap tyres.
I have had a 3.5 tonne camper on my truck for a lot of the kms and I strongly recommend going
for the very best you can afford.

Cheers, Buckinroo Jake.

Buckinroo Jake
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Chimpy Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Check out tirerack.com I just ordered 4 Yokohama Geolandar 265 60 R18 A/T-S for $152 US each with $349 US delivery to my door. Many Landrover owners are using this mob. My last set of these tyres were $420 each from a local.

Chimpy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi all ---
Horses for courses
If u intend to prospect in the Northwest of WA then u would be smart to use your split rims and use either 14 or 16 ply tyres--I prefer the chinese brands personally..I also carry 4 spare tyres--I make my own roads.
If u intend to just drive down the numerouse tracks in the bush then sure 235/85r16 on solid rims these are a maximum 10ply tyre and a good all rounder.
The beauty of these two tyres out west is that they are regular sizes and readily available.
32 and 35 are hard to come by and if u come to grief then u have at least a 5 day wait for tyres to get delivered and yes they will cost u both arms and both legs.
Its great to buy tyres on ebay x USA or werever but they must have a DOT number on them other wise u will have a hard time getting them fitted and no insurance
I am a tyre retailer and have stopped fitting other peoples tyres on rims...when we were we were charging $60 per tyre.
Our insurance holder has told us that the consequence wasnt worth the effort..
All tyres u buy in Australia are covered by insurance in case of a fault in the tyre...U have no cover with foreign tyres bought over the internet...dont have an accident with foreign tyres -- i would presume you would also blow your comprehesive insurance claim.
I know my tyre wholesaler pays around $75k for insurance in case something goes wrong with the tyres he supplies me. Cooper tyres must have forgot the hardiner in one batch of tyres cos a customer came in with a set of coopers that have done 6k ks and they were completely bald...we directed him to the Cooper dealer.
If u want some variations on brands try Silverstone tyres from Malayasia similar to a BFG they make a great lookin muddy as well. GT radials are good . Up here u would be lucky to get 40k to 60K kilometers per set.
Its hot in the summer and we use the hardest rock in the world for road base,
Good Luck
oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:39 am

Good advice Oneday69.
It's input like your's that helps all of us when we get adventurous and head bush.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:06 am

Gday oneday

I have been considering going back to the splits and 14 ply tyres like the boto's or something similar, due to having had staked a few tyres last season, no flats or issues for a few years then suddenly a run of staked tyres and issues all in the one season.

I also prospect in you neck of the woods and will be up that way next week, and be about the place for two weeks, if you pm me your business name I will call in for a look at what you use etc.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Your opinion on 4X4 Tyres - Page 2 Empty RE:your opinion 4x4 tyres

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi All
In the pilbarra of WA I use minimum 14 ply tyres--Unfortunately u can only put them on split rims coz the bead will not stretch around a solid steel rim. 7.50/16 -- the maximum ply rating on a 235/85r16 is 10 ply bit more height and u can put them on solid rims..Not much use in the type of terrain we go in up north.. We make our own roads over rocks which r unforgiving--The schist is like small sharp knives waiting in hidding 4 u 2 run over them same as the burnt spinnifix country--Theres a reason those trees and roots are still unburnt--there as hard as nails---Mickey thomos, coopers, are completely useless in the terrain up here.
If u have 35 or 38's on your vehicle and get a side wall fracture and deem ya tire useless then u can have a weeks wait for replacements..They r not a common size..

I dont need tyres on my car to pose with --they must be absolutely practical--If I was goin to sell my car i would put on a set of silverstone muddies or similar..When we go bush I always carry 4 spare tyres--horses for courses

As per kilometers of a set of tyres u would be lucky to get 40k out of a set of tyres no matter what..we use the hardest rock in the world as road base and have some of the hottest days in summer in Australia 60c on the road..these 2 combined will destroy anything u throw at it..trust me

Check out my tyre bin it has every conceivable tyre brand in it that we throw away on a regular basis
If you r lookin at BFG then cast your eyes over Silverstone A/T tyres another alternative..

I could ramble on but enough said..
Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  bob53 Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:47 pm

I have Maxxis tyres on my patrol and i am very happy with them i tow a 25 ft caravan and they are great . I looked at the Maxxis web site prior to putting them on and was impressed , the price compared to the better known brands is a lot lower . My son in Mount isa has gone from using Coopers to Maxxis and says he wont be going back , he is right into heavy duty 4x4 ing . I read an article in a 4x4 mag and it stated that Mickey Thompson tyres are made in the Cooper factory in USA but some of the cooper tyres that come to Aust are made in Asia . Regards Bob

bob53

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-12-20

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2