Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

telstra...................................................

3 posters

Go down

telstra................................................... Empty telstra...................................................

Post  Guest Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:55 pm

what is the difference between next g and 3 g? which one is used for mobiles?

Back to top Go down

telstra................................................... Empty Telstra

Post  rc62burke Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi All
As far as I know next G is the telstra network for mobiles & wireless mobile internet.
3 G network is the other networks, optus, dodo, etc.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

telstra................................................... Empty Re: telstra...................................................

Post  hoolahoopa Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:56 am

Claimpeg wrote:what is the difference between next g and 3 g? which one is used for mobiles?

claimeg pretty sure next g runs on 900mhz signal something like that and the 3g runs on something else 2100mhz i think that is why telstra has to get phones specially made so they can run on there network. but someone correct me if i am wrong.
hoolahoopa

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

telstra................................................... Empty Re: telstra...................................................

Post  Ayounomad Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:01 am

Gday everyone ..Next G is telstras latest and most advanced network with the best coverage .3G and GSM are just different systems including telstraGSM . GSM is very good in and around buildings for eg but coverage is useless away from big towns ...They are ALL mobile networks but if coverage is your priority , then telstra Next G is it , unless you go Sat phone , which are only 300 bucks for a new handset these days .... Telstra have nothing to do with any other network except for renting out of hard wired landlines as far as I know ......Some carriers allow roaming , ie hookup to other networks when out of your own network range .Remember , they are in competition with each other so are unlikely to help each other out ever .cheers Paul........http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/coverage/index.html
Ayounomad
Ayounomad
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:16 am

Gday

The telstra next G network is not bad at all, there have been many places where I have been able to get connected where my mate couldnt on his sat phone, so sat phones have their black spots as well which surprised me a bit as I was led to believe they were the "ducks guts" and could be relied apon to get you out of the shite, some places he got connection but it was almost impossible to understand what people on the other end were saying.

I have used my system mainly with the car kit, but also have another antenna that I can stick up on a extendable pole from the roof rack for better coverage, this helps a lot in some places, after awhile if you frequent the same areas you find the hot spots, one time I was about 30 klms south of Youanmi and managed to get a signal from Sandstone, thats over 100 klms, this was in one spot only.

Anyway I have found the system better to use than anything else currently available, and have now started to use the telstra wireless broadband for the laptop, which I have also found to be pretty good, some areas I used to frequent didnt have any phone service up until about six months ago, and now they have, apparently some of the big mines have repeater stations so the coverage is getting better.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:52 am

Hi
For travelling around the triangle in Victoria Telstra's Next G is the way to go. I use one of their own 'country' phones with the small extendable antenna and have coverage throughout the area. I was in a creek bed with 2 metre banks the other day digging away when my phone rang and had perfect reception. There hasnt been an area around here with any black spots... highly rate it...

Back to top Go down

Post  Ayounomad Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 pm

Gday folks , re sat phone black spots ...Sat phones do need line of sight so to speak , but , coverage is global if in the outdoors , . if you are with Pivotel/globalstar , there is problems with some of their satellites and no signals are picked up about 20% of the time ..Generally a good signal comes back within 5mins or so ..As a result , pivotel only charge 50% of normal rates { $1 per min for outgoing , free incoming } ,..... Telstras system is a lot more expensive and the handsets are 6 times the price , but the service is probably better than Globalstar ....cheers
Ayounomad
Ayounomad
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down