Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

24x 12 UFO

+2
Driller
U308
6 posters

Go down

24x 12 UFO Empty 24x 12 UFO

Post  U308 Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Afternoon people
A question I am hopeing some one maybe able to help me with....When I purchased the SD2200D the 24 x 12 ufo coil came with the machine. I am about to head out onto some open ground so I thought I would give it a run.

After having giving it a trial run I have come to believe this coil would have to rate up there with some of the poorest design attempts known, bit harsh I know but Geez > the bloody thing wobbles all over the place LOL > You can't screw it down tight enough to stop it moving forward and aft > then you strip the screw trying to get more out of it ( You got to laugh ) 24x 12 UFO Icon_smile

I know now why they called them a UFO cause they are out of this world 24x 12 UFO Icon_cheers

My Question is this can you or has any one glued another side mount to the base as a support bracket ???
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

24x 12 UFO Empty Re: 24x 12 UFO

Post  Driller Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:51 pm

U308,

I have not tried an extra bracket but have been thinking about getting some right angle plastic about 6mm and super gluing it to the underneath side of the coil so as to get another section to carry the plastic bolt. Proir to doing this I made my own stem from an old stem and machine down a larger piece of wood for the bottom where the screw goes thru to give more surface area to clamp to the coil lug. Then used a 6mm long plastic bolt with plenty of thread and made a 1" long nut for it from 1'' round solid plastic material. This allows much more tension to be applied than you get from the usual wingnut. You will need to make a flat washer from thick plastic to put on the stem side of the bolt. I then put a folded piece of emery paper with grit side out between the stem and the coil lug. This gives better contact between stem and lug. It does improve it but still not 100%.

Stay with it as that coil matches up very well on the 2200. A pig to swing but a deadly coil. Make sure you have a good booster and it will reward you.

Cheers,

Driller.

Driller
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 pm

U308

If the coil wobbles then it is not tight enough in the stem. It appears that you need some flat washers to put between your stem and the coil brackets. Get some thick plastic and make one or two up and you shouldn't have any problems. Just insert them when you are putting on the coil and ensure that there is a hole drilled in the middle of the washers so you can insert the bolt through it. You will then be able to tighten it satisfactorily

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4492
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 am

U308
They are a great search coil for WA.But they will drive you mad if you dont get them stable.I always felt that they would be a better coil if there attachment point was 75mm forward.But have no doubt their capability.A few years ago I saw a frenchman called Gil who used to operate out of leonora.At a very fast walking pace he would ping gold with them.Dont know how he did it ,must have had incredible hearing.
Cheers D24C

Back to top Go down

24x 12 UFO Empty 24" x 12" coil

Post  rc62burke Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:56 am

Hi All
I met a guy in NQ last year with a similar NF coil on a 4500, he used a stainless steel bolt to secure it to the stem to achieve the desired tension, he had no problem with the bolt as it is in a constant position in relation to the coil swing, give it a go
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  U308 Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks for the reply's people > Here is what I have done

Cut the end off the nylon cutting board (Geez I'm going to be in trouble when she finds out) shaped it with sandpaper , roughed up the edge and sides of the UFO where it is to be attached with 300 grit nice and rough.

Have clamped the nylon board lower shaft and original mount together so everthing fits tight screw is also inserted, some 24 hr araldite glue and now the wait.

Looks good at present, pretty confident.
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

24x 12 UFO Empty UFO

Post  granite2 Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 am

THe original UFO came with a two sided mounting for the stem but it was found it drooped to the front and there was no way you could stop it.

Coiltek then removed one side of the mount and beefed up the remaining side. Using the supplied larger white nylon bolt it was found the coil behaved itself and remained stable.

The only reasons I can think of that would cause the coil to be unstable is that you have no rubber washer contact between the coil and/or you are using one of the smaller bolts.

Gluing on another mount will only make the problem worse. Coiltek didn't remove one side for no reason.

Make sure you have a good tear-drop rubber washer in the head of your stem, not one that is flat and worn out. Make sure you have the larger white nylon bolt and you won't have too much trouble with that coil.

If you balance the detector and coil right and use a skid plate the coil literally skims over the ground. All you need to do is ensure the leading edge of the coil is raised slightly. This causes a ground effect of the air being compressed between the skid plate and the ground providing a cushion of air that helps take some of the weight of the coil. It does work! I've used one of those coils for many hours without getting too tired.

Even better than the Minelab lower stem for this coil is the Otto stem, the one with a larger head and bigger tear drops. They are available at most detector shops.

A hint for those using a clear skid plate. These plates do crack faily easily but if you run silicon along each of the spokes and around the bottom of the outside the plates will last many times longer.

It is a great coil. The first time I used one I found a 58gram nugget at well over two feet at Pikes Hollow. It went on to find me a lot more gold over the years. A photo of that nugget is often used in the G&T as an end of story pix instead of a full stop. 24x 12 UFO Icon_cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

24x 12 UFO Empty UFO

Post  granite2 Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:44 am

I forgot to add that this coil comes with a special plastic washer as well as the larger nylon bolt. Call the Coiltek Gold centre and they will mail a bolt and washer out to you. Cost is minimal. Follow my advice and you will come to love this coil.

Cheers, Jim 24x 12 UFO Icon_cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

24x 12 UFO Empty Mini UFO

Post  goldnugget Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:08 pm

I found some 3 to 4 mm plastic, heated it and bent the ends to fit the profile of the coil's arms, let it cool to it's permanent shape, slapped on some araldite and left it for 3 days clamped up, drilled a hole and no problems with wobble at all.

Cheers,
Rick.

goldnugget
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum