Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LARGE QUARTZ WASH, is this from the last iceage?

3 posters

Go down

LARGE QUARTZ WASH, is this from the last iceage? Empty LARGE QUARTZ WASH, is this from the last iceage?

Post  tezz Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:32 pm

This type of quartz seems different from the broken up fractured quartz commonly seen on hills, it looks waterworn but it might have been shaped from slow moving glaciers just slowly grinding along for hundreds of miles, some of the stones are like watermelons, quartz being hard seems to be the only rock that has survived, common in the old diggings and in some creeks, whether it has any relationship with gold I don't know but if gold was with this material when it was moving the gold being soft would be wearing down and be very smooth,
When I was in Coffs we saw white quartz wash on top of the hills that thick it looked like hail, this we were told came from South America, if this is true it would have to be when the continents were joined together.
You need a Geologist on board to answer topics like this.
cheers Tezz
tezz
tezz
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

LARGE QUARTZ WASH, is this from the last iceage? Empty Re: LARGE QUARTZ WASH, is this from the last iceage?

Post  Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

not sure about where you are... but sometimes you get old river beds on top of hills, thats where alot of the round rocks come from.
sometimes that's why the hill has survived, because the bottom of the river turn to cement and made it harder than the surrounding ground..
got a geoligy course this weekend so i'll see whether these opinions are correct..
cheers

Back to top Go down

LARGE QUARTZ WASH, is this from the last iceage? Empty Re: LARGE QUARTZ WASH, is this from the last iceage?

Post  Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:25 pm

A pic is better than a thousand words! Smile but yes you are correct about some wear patterns being eluvial and not alluvial. A classic example of this is ,in my opinion , the Ballarat nugget ! Not water worn but ground away with eons of material moving over the gold to give the worn appearance !

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Dunno about south America tezz, my little time scale app shows Antarctica and India in between us. Interestingly nearly the whole of Australia is under the ice cap in this shot, even the pilbara!

LARGE QUARTZ WASH, is this from the last iceage? C4bd976662d4b3f265ec15a3c1c688a3

DD

Back to top Go down

Post  tezz Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Diggerdude, interesting picture, tried to move the time bar, is their a link to this so I can get it to work?
cheers Tezz
tezz
tezz
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Gold Miner Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Try this Tezz.
http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/earthviewer/index.html
Gold Miner
Gold Miner
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:27 pm

What a great little program, thanks for posting Diggerdude and thanks for the link Gold Miner
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down