Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Central West Super Speci-a work in progress

+14
Ren
piston broke
Curley
AnnieL
mullockgrubber
lbg dreamer
bedrock
slimpickens
NITRO
Ronnie
MTB Digger
Tributer
rc62burke
CostasDee
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Central West Super Speci-a work in progress - Page 2 Empty Re: Central West Super Speci-a work in progress

Post  piston broke Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Amazing Gus, truly beautiful piece. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Central West Super Speci-a work in progress - Page 2 Empty Re: Central West Super Speci-a work in progress

Post  Ren Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 am

That's an awesome looking nugget mate well done Gus!

Ren...
Ren
Ren
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks everyone.
A strange turn of events has unfolded during the processing.
I started off with a total weight of 1228 grams.
The total weight of gold recovered was 815 grams. The SG tests showed that it should have contained 820-840 MINIMUM.
The total weight of rock dollied was 296 grams.
So.....
815 + 296 = 1111.
it seems that 117 grams has dissapeared into thin air Shocked
I doubt that I would have lost that much through Quartz and ironstone being dissolved or the panning off process of the crushings,maybe 15-20 grams,so what happened to the other 100 grams?
Any ideas?

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 am

Don't worry Gus, I've got my best detective on the case. Cool

Central West Super Speci-a work in progress - Page 2 Duck_g11

1) How confidant are you that the scales you used were accurate? It was a large weight.
2) Has the missus been doing any extra shopping lately? Have you noticed any new expensive additions to her wardrobe? Twisted Evil

Last edited by shiraz on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 am

Fantastic chunk of gold Gus,
Using HF acid or any other single acid you couldn't loose any gold, you will only lose Quartz, iron,silver,copper ect so as your first photo shows the specimen had iron mineralization and that would have been converted to an oxide solution or gas.
I know nitrous oxide gas is released with nitric and copper/Gold and comes off with a brown gas.
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggerdave Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:14 pm

I had never heard of thermal shock treatment before now but I can see that it works a treat, even if it is a little more labour intensive. Well done Gus. Hope your next find is even better.

Last edited by Diggerdave on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Diggerdave
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:04 am

MS wrote:Fantastic chunk of gold Gus,
Using HF acid or any other single acid you couldn't loose any gold, you will only lose Quartz, iron,silver,copper ect so as your first photo shows the specimen had iron mineralization and that would have been converted to an oxide solution or gas.
I know nitrous oxide gas is released with nitric and copper/Gold and comes off with a brown gas.
Cheers Mark

Fair call Mark,
There just didnt seem to be 100 grms of Ironstone in the rock. The 2 pockets visable in the first pic were only shallow and wouldnt have come to much in weight.
The other thing I noticed was,even though I dollied the quartz to powder,the dishing water didnt turn that murky.

Just a tip for those of you who dolly up quartz speci`s. If you dont turn the rock into powder you will be loosing gramage. I re-seived the crushings,re-dollied and ended up panning off a fair amount of flour gold in the last 2 attempts.

PS Shiraz: The Scales used were calibrated and are accurate plus the good wifey hasnt bought any nice things for a while Wink .....she is very trustworthy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Another way of losing gold when panning off the fines after the quartz has been dollied to a fine powder is forgetting to put a bit of detergent in, very fine gold will float on the water surface and get lost, this would only be a small amount and not the large amount you are talking about.
Also you can use of mercury to pick up the sub gold particles that are barely visible to the eye in the heavies.
Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  strolch Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:25 pm

oh my goodness Shocked
such a great piece you can not even see at the Museum in germany.
a really nice nugget, congratulations Q15
strolch
strolch
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-02-24

http://www.detektorforum.de

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoffs Gold Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:33 am

WOW affraid Gus she looks amazing mate great job cheers , almost done catching up with all the posts lol!
Hoffs Gold
Hoffs Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2011-04-26

http://www.thebeardedprospectors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Gday Hoffs,
It did look amazing mate........until I smashed it with a big hammer and cut it into 3 bits. It is now at the refiners being made into a gold bar.
A real shame,but there are bills to pay and things to do.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoffs Gold Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Get out of here mate ya pulling my leg?? Suspect
Hoffs Gold
Hoffs Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:53 pm

No leg pulling mate.
I just wish I had smashed it up and sent it to the refiners a few days after i found it.
Gold was $1755 Au then.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoffs Gold Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Got to do what ya got to do mate that's life I guess, all the best with it mate & we'll need to head out & find another one @ some point? Very Happy
Cheers Clinton,
Hoffs Gold
Hoffs Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2