Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know where I can get a pick

+6
CrazyPete
grunt
big fella
CostasDee
Gold&Relics
zone3799
10 posters

Go down

Anyone know where I can get a pick  Empty Anyone know where I can get a pick

Post  zone3799 Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 pm

[img]Anyone know where I can get a pick  Great_14[/img]

zone3799
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-04-15

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where I can get a pick  Empty The Pick That Is !

Post  zone3799 Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Spotted this somewhere and thought I had saved as a bookmark ..... I didn't . Nice Pick - I want one !

zone3799
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where I can get a pick  Empty Re: Anyone know where I can get a pick

Post  Guest Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:46 pm

G'day Zone3799 you could try the Coiltek Gold centre in Maryborough Vic... They do have a few different types in stock... They may have an idea where you could get one...

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where I can get a pick  Empty THE PICK

Post  Gold&Relics Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:44 pm

G,day looks like a home made pick to me, as I havent seen one like this, But looks like a great pick CHEERS DARREN
Gold&Relics
Gold&Relics
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2012-08-16

http://www.goldandrelics.com.au

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where I can get a pick  Empty Re: Anyone know where I can get a pick

Post  CostasDee Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Although this pick has a great scraping end, my concern though is that the pointy end is somewhat narrow and I feel that it may bend when used in extreme situations.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where I can get a pick  Empty Pick of Picks

Post  zone3799 Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 pm

1/4 " Spring Steel 6" Spike - Huge 8 " Wide Scoop with Beveled Edges to hold the dirt from falling away at the sides , It's more like a mini excavator than a regular pick , this pick is hard to beat .

zone3799
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Intersting, do you know a brand, model number or anything else about it that may lead to the maker?
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:36 am

G'Day zone3799 how do you know so much about this product without knowing where to buy one or is it self advertising and you will sell me one later just curious
Big Fella
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:22 am

Embarassed kach Ching !!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where I can get a pick  Empty Jumping To Conclusions !

Post  zone3799 Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:15 pm

Right Of Reply

Jumping to conclusions there Guys , didnt you read my first post ?

Never assume anything , best bit of advice I have ever been given .

Funny enough I did find it again late last night /early morning after much searching . Whenever I see something that looks interesting I save a picture , something wrong with that ? Innocent until proven guilty guys , don't be so cynical , it breeds !

I think it is one of the better picks I have seen , yes I do want to contact the maker and get one if the the price is not to prohibitive !

zone3799
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:31 pm

G'day all zone3799 has contacted me and he is in no way a dealer...
He genuinely is after one of those picks... Please refrain from jumping to conclusions..

Thanks
Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Well it waddled like a duck , it quackers like a duck! But ok it's an election year so I do appoligise for jumping to an incorrect conclusion! Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:05 am

G'Day
No good me going duck shooting they all look the same.
Big Fella.
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:20 am

I agree with you zone3799, it does look interesting and I'd like to know a little more about it too. I am still partly concerned about the strength of the slike end, but am curious enough to want to know more. Please let us know if you find out more info or places that sell it.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:49 am

zone3799 wrote:
1/4 " Spring Steel 6" Spike - Huge 8 " Wide Scoop with Beveled Edges to hold the dirt from falling away at the sides , It's more like a mini excavator than a regular pick , this pick is hard to beat .

Has the spike been welded to the wider end? Has the welding taken out the temper of the steel? Has it been retempered as a whole pick after fabrication ? Or has the whole thing been hot forged as a complete unit and then oil cooled ? All these things will determine its cost !! Looking forward to finding out more ! study cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  zone3799 Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi , will have all the info on this as soon as i get it . I can tell you that the Wide scoop end is in fact Welded onto the Spike end , will get back ASAP

zone3799
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where I can get a pick  Empty Picking out a pick

Post  grunt Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Recently I purchased a little stainless steel pick, point and chisel type; for quick probes.
Do have a couple more bigger job which I got from Bunnings. Yet to be tested but like most (things) looks ok; time will tell.
I left my rental home in Adelaide and now living in my van on York Peninsula; till I find another rental home.
Shortly we are doing our Meteorite patrols on the Nullabor.
grunt
grunt
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazyPete Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Mike54 wrote:G'day all zone3799 has contacted me and he is in no way a dealer...
He genuinely is after one of those picks... Please refrain from jumping to conclusions..

Thanks
Admin.

FFS What a friggin sook Razz Razz Razz Razz 

CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  johnycake Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Kind of looks like a Apex Pick and looks like it has a magnet attached aswell

http://webvend.us/PLACERLODE/APEX_PICKS/APEX_PICKS.htm

Anyone know where I can get a pick  28

johnycake
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where I can get a pick  Empty any one know where i can get a pick

Post  nuggertman Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Wink  mate ... ill tell you ... i make my own picks.. i get harden steel . cut with my big grinder wield them..... any size shape... light weight... but very strong,,,, hope this helps you ,,, good luck mate
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:04 pm

just spied this on gumtree.
looks almost the same.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/watsonia/miscellaneous-goods/custom-made-prospecting-pick-minelab/1027851791

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazyPete Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:20 am

nuggertman wrote:Wink  mate ... ill tell  you ... i make my own picks.. i get harden steel  . cut with my big grinder wield  them..... any size shape... light weight... but very strong,,,, hope this helps you ,,, good luck mate
Only way to go Wink Wink Wink 

J
CrazyPete
CrazyPete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:47 pm

You should always ask your self,  how much I am going to use this pick per day ?  If you are going to be digging 8 hrs. per day, no time for detecting, then you should buy or make the best.   If you are going to do a lot of detecting and only use the pick for half an hour per day. Then I suggest you can buy or make a cheaper pick. It will out last you.

I have 4 or more picks, use the right sized one for the job. My opal mining pick has been with me since 1967, it is an old friend.

Last edited by Minermike on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info.)
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:13 pm

hoolahoopa wrote:just spied this on gumtree.
looks almost the same.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/watsonia/miscellaneous-goods/custom-made-prospecting-pick-minelab/1027851791
I called this fellow Andrew and organised a time for me to go around and look at his picks. He's a very nice fellow and had about 50 picks wrapped up on the back of his ute, ready to take to the market the next day. He was very accommodating and after telling him roughly the length of the handle, the weight I wanted and the scrape length, he started unwrapping different picks for he to try. I then potted one that was still being completed and was still unpainted, but it felt good in my hand and it was the one I wanted (it looks very similar to the one in the gumtree photo). I paid the full $100 even though it still wasn't finished and took it home and lacquered the handle and have just painted the metal head with a satin finish rust protecting black paint. I'm extremely happy with it both in looks and feel and I'll include a photo once I finish with the painting. Oh, and I've engraved the handle just in case someone else takes a fancy to it too... Evil or Very Mad 

I found out that the seller is a member here but he has very few posts and so hasn't as yet advertised his pick business on the forum, but for anyone thinking of buying one from him through gumtree, I found him honest and extremely helpful and very accommodating.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Cheers costa for the bit of a review, I did contact him myself but
was a bit hesitant as not being able to see them in the flesh.
Might give him a crack now got to be better than the ones on offer where I am.
Cheers

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 pm

zone3799 wrote:Hi , will have all the info on this as soon as i get it . I can tell you that the Wide scoop end is in fact Welded onto the Spike end , will get back ASAP
Hi Zone, did you get back to us in another post or....did they scare you off or did you zone out for a while? I like the look of that pick so am interested if you found it. Don't worry if you feel roughed up a bit it's just part of the welcome is all. You know boys will be boys and all. Am I talking to myself or you still here? Cheers Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:14 pm

He was last in on Sept 4  no posts ,no replies , study

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 pm

Apologies guys, I forgot to get back here about the pick. I did use it up at Laanecoorie and I think I have it on vid. I'll search for it tomorrow and put it up if I can find it.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum