Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prospectors Recipe Book

+5
swaggy53
Grandfather Johnson
spidertice
stevo 444
Kon61gold
9 posters

Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty Prospectors Recipe Book

Post  Kon61gold Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm

I was looking for that recipe for damper, but then I thought we should have our own cookbook for bush cooking. Scones, camp ovens cooking - bush tea. Lets see what we can do!

What was that recipe for damper for a start?
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty prospectors bush recipe's

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi All,
When the missus gets home tonight she will download off her USB our recipe's that we have for out camping, like Yabbie Morney etc
Regards Ron

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty Re: Prospectors Recipe Book

Post  stevo 444 Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:37 pm

mmmm ! Yabby morney, sounds good Ron.

Cheers Stevo Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_lol
stevo 444
stevo 444
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty MT's ocean gourmet

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:11 pm

can't really take credit for this recipe, it was handed down to me by my mother, not sure where she got it from but it's heaven while camping and anyone can knock it up in about two minutes with no need for a multitude of kitchen utensils etc..

Take one can of Home brand Sardines in tomato sauce. (franklins nofrills or coles brand will substitute in a pinch)
Gently peel off the paper wrapper and dispose of carefully.
Lift ringpull and break the seal and pull back half an inch exposing one end of the headless fish corspes inside.
Tilt can with the exposed end down causing the crap excuse for tomato sauce to flow outwards and in a verticle dirrection. I like to do this over an ants nest, you may choose a spider hole or some other object.

Once the flow has slowed to a slight drip, return the can to a horizontal position, grasp the ringpull and give a steady pull until it completely seperates from the can, be very careful of eye splatter when it finally seperates.

You can arrange them artistically on a plate or eat dirrectly from the can. After two weeks in the bush by yourself you may even choose to strike up a conversation with the good looking ones.

Finally, careful not to cut your tongue licking out the empty can.

Enjoy!

Back to top Go down

Post  stevo 444 Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:29 pm

He HEE, god bless ya mum steve for passing down that recipe, how do you tell which sardine is male or female ? Prospectors Recipe Book Lol
stevo 444
stevo 444
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty re cook book

Post  spidertice Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi tuna ,,, i hope your not doing the catering in a few weeks,
spidertice
spidertice
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty Sardine Recipe

Post  Grandfather Johnson Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:30 pm

how do you tell which sardine is male or female ? Prospectors Recipe Book Lol[/quote]

After weeks in the bush ,who cares Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_lol

Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty Prospectors recipe book

Post  swaggy53 Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi Tuna.......Sounds delightfulll just wondering what wine one should drag out of the cellar to go with such a feast.

Cheers...Swaggy
swaggy53
swaggy53
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty Prospecters Recipe's

Post  Guest Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi All,
Next time you go camping and plan on taking your jaffle iron's with you,instead of using bread, use muffins, these fit really good in the round moulds but it's a new taste sensation, a bit crispier, crunchier!!, and the missus fell asleep so will probably post later.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi 'Tuna.

So you're the b*gger that leaves all the sardine tins throughout the goldfields? Prospectors Recipe Book Affraid Prospectors Recipe Book Affraid Prospectors Recipe Book Affraid

I gotta comment on the irony of a tuna talking about sardines Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_twisted Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_twisted Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_twisted Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_twisted Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_twisted

To make it more "up-market", add a little bit of white vinegar to taste. Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_biggrin Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_biggrin Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_biggrin

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Jeff, Have a look out for a book( if you can get yourself a copy ) written buy Jack & Reg Absalom, called "Outback Cooking in the camp oven" its got every thing in it that you would want for cooking whilst camping, for example it has soups, meats even curries, breads, desserts, pastries etc. I have made damper, bread and stew from the book and they turned out well. One of the best books you can take whilist camping. Regards Johnny Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_santa
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Johnny.

I'm one of those guys who dont care much for cooking but I'm sure that there a lot of guys and gals out there who will appreciate the book. Yes I can cook the basic BBQ, steak and eggs and burn water but you wouldnt ever make me the cook

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:06 am

Viv Moon's (Ron Moon's missus) has to great books out.
"Outdoor Cookbook" and
"Travellers' Cookbook"

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:56 pm

I enjoy the challenge cooking in the bush and have many tried and proven recipes. Probably the most important aspect is to place your camp oven or aluminium trays on bare cold ground, many bush recipes mention placing your cooking utensil on coals. This burns the meal and a thick hard crust forms on your damper.

Here is a couple of proven recipes, I'll try and find the damper one;

Bush Tucker.

Roast Chicken & vegies

• Two large aluminium trays.
  • A good supply of “hot/ glowing coals. ****Caution**** Extinguish fire when finished so no one steps into it in the dark, because coals will remain hot for over 24 hours.
  • Place chicken in foil tray, pour oil (preferably “olive”) over chicken. Peel a whole onion and cut in half and place either side of chicken… Insert a clove of garlic inside chicken.. (Not essential)
  • Cover tray with several layers of alfoil.
  • Scrape area clear and place on bare ground then place cold ash around tray up too the foil cover height.. Now shovel hot glowing coals onto the tray ensuring the lid is completely covered. Check the time!!!!
  • Prepare vegies, place in plastic bag and dust with cornflour. Place in second tray with olive oil and cover with foil.
  • Open tin of peas/ beans or what ever ready for heating.
  • Mix up a packet of Chicken gravy and water and place to side ready to simmer when vegetables are covered with coals.
  • When the chicken has been cooking for one hour, place vegetables on ground next to chicken. Once again repeat step 5.
  • Note the time and now heat the greens and prepare the gravy.
  • 40 minutes after recovering with coals remove chicken and vegies.
  • Total time 1 hour 40 minutes.

Enjoy…………………………………………………………………

Would like to share with members a tried and proven recipe for a tasty (come back for more) starter to your favourite bush meal while relaxing with family and friends. Note: Yabbies make an alternative to crab meat.

CRAB AND SWEETCORN SOUP

Ingredients:

1.5 litres chicken stock

250 gram fresh crab meat. (Canned crab meat will suffice if none available.)

125 gram can creamed sweetcorn.

1 tablespoon cornflour.

1 tablespoon sherry

2 teaspoon olive oil.

½ teaspoon sesame oil.

2 eggs beaten.

2 shallots (finely chopped.)

Method:

Bring stock to boil in a large wok or pot.

Add crab meat and corn and simmer for two minutes.

Blend cornflour, sherry and oils and add to wok, bring back to boil then remove from heat.

Immediately pour in beaten eggs in a steady stream to form a pattern on surface.

Decorate with chopped shallots and serve immediately.

Bon apetite

[/size]

Last edited by Nightjar on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Here you go Jeff;

Australian Damper

3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Scoop of marg/butter
1 cup milk
Cup of water or beer
Mix the flour, salt & marg into a bowl.
Add milk to make a soft dough then add water/beer stirring with wooden spoon until you have a non sticky mixture.
Knead lightly on floured board until smooth. Shape into round loaf.
Place in camp oven and cover with sheet of alfoil before fitting lid. (Keeps the ash out)
Place on ground and completely cover with cold ash.
Now shovel hot coals completely covering camp oven again.
35 minutes later you have damper.
There are many additives you can experiment with. eg: raisins, cheese, baked beans, jam, vegemite, sardines etc etc.
***Note*** If you do add extras that have a liquid content extend cooking time by 10 minutes.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty Prospecters Recipe's

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi all,

Just a couple of recipes I use to keep Ron’s body in the condition it is accustomed to, I find it best to use the minimum ingredients and KISS.

Yabbie Mornay

1 onion, halved; chopped parsley

1/2 tsp salt; pinch pepper; 1 bay leaf

45gm butter

2 tbls flour

2 cups milk

180gm-grated cheddar

Cooked and peeled yabbies

Heat milk, onion, salt, pepper and bay leaf in saucepan. Cover and stand off the heat for 7-10 minutes. Melt butter, add flour and cook for a few minutes. Strain milk and add gradually stirring until sauce boils and thickens. Add cheese and continue stirring until cheese melts. Add yabbies and re-heat without boiling. Enjoy with boiled rice and your favourite alcohol.

Cheese and Bacon Loaf
2 cups SR Flour
1 cup grated cheese
Pinch salt
1 cup milk
2 tbls chopped bacon
Mix all ingredients well together, and press into a greased loaf tin. Top with more grated cheese and bake in moderate camp oven for 25 minutes

Damper

2 cups SR flour

1-cup water

Salt

1tsp carb soda

Mix the dry ingredients and slowly add water. (May not need all the water). Cook about 25 minutes in a moderate camp oven.

Fruit Cake

2 cups SR flour

2 cups dried fruit

1 tin condensed milk

Mix all ingredients. Pour into small camp oven. Cook for 30 minutes or until cooked.

Hint - Line camp oven with aluminium foil or use aluminium foil trays - they come in all shapes and sizes. That way you can spend more time drinking and less time washing up.

Cheers

Sherri (Ron's cook - and I found more gold than him!!!!!!!!!) Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:06 pm

CrazyFish,
Does you recipe work with for Sardines in olive oil.They will be looking for contestants in Masterchef next year,Have you considered entering ?
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Wonderful, reading through a few of those make a fella drool, now just have to find the cook. What the going payment rate???
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty Bucket of Mush

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi All
This recipe is slightly more complicated than Tuna's Mums as it requires a heat source such as a campfire or gas burner a can opener and a pair of multygrips or pliers.

Open can of Harvest brand Irish Stew with can opener leaving the lid attached with a 5mm hinge,Fold lid back on a 90 degree angle and place container on heat source and gently heat until your hear that Blub Blub sound.To test that its ready place your finger in the can at regular intervals.Continue doing this until you swear then you know you are ready to serve.Using Multygrips or Pliers remove container from heat source.Do this with with the opposite hand that you used to test that it was ready.Tip contents into your best plastic bowl,Drown with Tomatoe Sauce and garnish with a sprig of parsley.For wine I would suggest Chateau Cardboard preferably a white and to complete the ambience perhaps a Kevin Bloody Wilson CD.Its a lot of trouble to go to but I think we are all worth it
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks Digs!!! printing that one out now.
Me and you should knock up some sort of cook book and split the profits...I have some beaut camping recipes, including a really clever one with bread that does involve a heat source...I call it "toast"

Let me know if you want it Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty prospectors bush recipe's

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi All,
Just for the unweary,I can remember being plied with bake beans on toast, way back in my younger days where the contents were heated within the tin and i got violently sick, we got kicked out of this guys flat by the owners because they thought i was on something a little stronger than normal nourishment.It turned out to be food or lead poisoning from the can itself, so just for my benifit could you at least use a pan or pot to heat things up,it goes to show, we will eat anything when we work up a hunger.
Regards Ron
PS: Jeff, my missus was going to offer to cook for you but i said he wouldn't be able to afford it!!!

Back to top Go down

Prospectors Recipe Book Empty Bush Recipe

Post  Tunnel Rat Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:56 pm

Heres a recipe passed on to me from the old man.As most waterways contain the dreaded carp he sought a method to make them palatable and after many attempts settled on this one as the most flavoursome.Naturaly you will have already obtained your carp from some muddy waterhole,dam or stream and have it scaled and cleaned.Next,obtain anything that will hold both the carp and the marinate which consists of clean water,vinegar,salt,2 bay leaves,garlic,pepper,all to taste and the most important of all,a house brick.Place all in your container and marinate overnight.In the morning discard the carp and eat the brick.
Tunnel Rat
Tunnel Rat
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  reg Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:57 pm

Tunnel Rat wrote:Heres a recipe passed on to me from the old man.As most waterways contain the dreaded carp he sought a method to make them palatable and after many attempts settled on this one as the most flavoursome.Naturaly you will have already obtained your carp from some muddy waterhole,dam or stream and have it scaled and cleaned.Next,obtain anything that will hold both the carp and the marinate which consists of clean water,vinegar,salt,2 bay leaves,garlic,pepper,all to taste and the most important of all,a house brick.Place all in your container and marinate overnight.In the morning discard the carp and eat the brick.

thats the same recipe my old man gave to me but instead of the carp it was a crow and it works the best brick i ever tasted. Prospectors Recipe Book Affraid
cheers...reg
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:34 am

Your On Tuna
Perhaps "Roadkill Recipes Made Easy"
Cocky Pie,Possum Stirfry and Roadtrain Surprise
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:38 am

Gday

Hey Tuna that is almost the same recipe I use, except I get the sardines in oil as well, and when the sardines are gone I leave the oily can somewhere convienient for the flies to have a go at, instant fly trap the little buggers get stuck in the oil, revenge is sweet. Prospectors Recipe Book Icon_twisted

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down