Quartz blow

Go down

Quartz blow Empty Quartz blow

Post  Bol on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Found an interesting Quartz Blow yesterday.Looked like it was spewing out of the base of a tree and fanning out down towards a gully.Some seriously big chunks of quartz.Its right next to a dirt road,which is rarely used.

Heres a few pics.

Quartz blow Quartz001

Quartz blow Quartz002

Quartz blow Quartz003

As the crow flys it is about 3 km from a gold bearing area from the turn of the century,reef gold. Also stop the car about a km before and noticed quartz everywhere beside the road,smaller bits and you could see that where the road was put in, it dozered through a quartz area about 200 m in width.
Doesn't seem to be any old mines around the area. Neutral
Worth a shot ?
Still saving for a detector Sad
i can hire one..but its only an extera 750..would it be worth while do you think..or just bide my time until i have a GPX of some description.
Still new at all this,but learning all the time.
Bol What a Face

Bol
Bol
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

Quartz blow Empty Re: Quartz blow

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Do you think the old timers missed it? Whether they did or not you owe it to yourself to go and have a look because if you don't you will always wonder!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Quartz blow Empty Re: Quartz blow

Post  Ben78 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Even if you don't have a detector you can sample some dirt lower down the slope and wash it in a pan.
Ben78
Ben78
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Age : 41
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Quartz blow Empty Re: Quartz blow

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm sure if you walk the area slowly you will find the old timers cut shallow costains across the shedding area ! That they didn't dig that area is an indication that there is no gold OR not enought to interest them .

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Quartz blow Empty Re: Quartz blow

Post  getascripter on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Bite the bullet, Bol Very Happy Hire a good detector for the weekend. Even if you have to drive a bit to find a good one to hire. If you can't find a good detector, invite one of the more experienced people here on the forum to come along with you and share the 'Eureka!!' There's plenty of NSWelshmen here, or even a VIC Very Happy

Take the tent and swag, and just camp for the weekend. Really give this area a good going over ... as much as you possibly can in a weekend! Take as much water as you can, and even pan a bit of the soils below the blow ... see what you can come up with!! It's amazing how little water you actually need to do some panning ... just use your pan in a big open container of water.

You never know ... it's probably too small a blow for too many people to have worried about. Perhaps it's just been missed. Go on ... live the dream!!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1901
Age : 65
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Quartz blow Empty Re: Quartz blow

Post  Bol on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Cheers Ark,Ben & Kate Very Happy

I think its well worth a look.This particular road i doubt would have been in exhistance when the old timers were about,so maybe they did miss it ?
The quartz fans out to about 30 m in width,then drops into a gully which i would imagine would be a small creek..if it ever bloody rains.As for trenches..i didn't really check that out.
I'm soooo gunna check this out Wink
I'll let you know if i come up with anything Very Happy

Bol What a Face
Bol
Bol
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-09-07

Back to top Go down

Quartz blow Empty Re: Quartz blow

Post  jc84 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:05 am

Ark wrote:I'm sure if you walk the area slowly you will find the old timers cut shallow costains across the shedding area ! That they didn't dig that area is an indication that there is no gold OR not enought to interest them .

I'd agree with Ark here, I live on a pretty remote cattle property here in central qld (not too far* from the old yatton goldfields) and when riding around on a horse I often find these old shallow cuts across the downhill side of quartz reefs and blows. At first I though they must have been from when my grandfather was driving around on his old international dozer back in the 40's and 50's but after finding them in some very hard to get to places, half way up some very steep (hard to scrabble up on foot) gullies ect. I've decided they must be from the 1880-1900's when blokes probably wondered this area looking for gold.

*n.b. when i say not too far, I just looked on my mapping program it's about 17.5km as the crow flies to one of these cuttings I'm thinking of. When you think about it, that's about 240 square kilometers of area they probably would have walked over looking for gold just around the old yatton fields. That's dedication.


Last edited by jc84 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

jc84
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-02-06

Back to top Go down

Quartz blow Empty Re: Quartz blow

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 am

jc84 wrote:
Ark wrote:I'm sure if you walk the area slowly you will find the old timers cut shallow costains across the shedding area ! That they didn't dig that area is an indication that there is no gold OR not enought to interest them .

I'd agree with Ark here, I live on a pretty remote cattle property here in central qld (not too far* from the old yatton goldfields) and when riding around on a horse I often find these old shallow cuts across the downhill side of quartz reefs and blows. At first I though they must have been from when my grandfather was driving around on his old international dozer back in the 40's and 50's but after finding them in some very hard to get to places, half way up some very steep (hard to scrabble up on foot) gullies ect. I've decided they must be from the 1880-1900's when blokes probably wondered this area looking for gold.

*n.b. when i say not too far, I just looked on my mapping program it's about 17.5km as the crow flies to one of these cuttings I'm thinking of. When you think about it, that's about 240 square kilometers of area they probably would have walked over looking for gold just around the old yatton fields. That's dedication.



Well the old story was true ! No gold ,,,no money,,, no food = not a good outcome !!!! Very Happy

Thanks for the input it's post like your that originate from real people on the ground that lends weight to reading the old reports !!!! Your observations are spot on and then to follow up with actual measurements shows a grasping or what is meant about research!!!!! Well done cheers

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Quartz blow Empty Re: Quartz blow

Post  jc84 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:18 am

Ark wrote: Well the old story was true ! No gold ,,,no money,,, no food = not a good outcome !!!! Very Happy Thanks for the input it's post like your that originate from real people on the ground that lends weight to reading the old reports !!!! Your observations are spot on and then to follow up with actual measurements shows a grasping or what is meant about research!!!!! Well done

Thanks mate, 99% of the little bit i've learnt is from reading this forum over the last year or so though, so your thanking yourself actually.

I could think of worse lifestyles though, it wouldn't have been so bad living off the land just wondering around having a dig here an there looking for some yellow stuff.

jc84
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-02-06

Back to top Go down

Quartz blow Empty Re: Quartz blow

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

jc84 wrote:
Ark wrote: Well the old story was true ! No gold ,,,no money,,, no food = not a good outcome !!!! Very Happy Thanks for the input it's post like your that originate from real people on the ground that lends weight to reading the old reports !!!! Your observations are spot on and then to follow up with actual measurements shows a grasping or what is meant about research!!!!! Well done

Thanks mate, 99% of the little bit i've learnt is from reading this forum over the last year or so though, so your thanking yourself actually.

I could think of worse lifestyles though, it wouldn't have been so bad living off the land just wondering around having a dig here an there looking for some yellow stuff.

Embarassed well jc84 on behalf of ALL the posters you are referring to I say Thanks cheers it is indeed heart warming to see someone realise what we have in this forum! And as I always say " knowledge is no burden to bear"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum