Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker

2 posters

Go down

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker Empty Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker

Post  Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Just thought I would bring you up to speed on the new type of Banjo/highbanker we have been using over the last season. The Banjo is the one Murachu designed with the split bottom, this system is working very well I kinda like it over the flat bottom units. The reason been it seems to work the wash in a much better fashion and it gives you a removable drop box in front of the riffle area. Any gold that gets out of the tray is trapped at this point it is only on very odd occasions I will find gold past the first riffle. No gold is found in the bottom section of the Banker. I have done a short video to show how I work my riffle area but I am not very good with the camera but I think you will be able to see it ok.

http://s1354.beta.photobucket.com/user/james_1017/media/everythingsetandrunningright_zps291f8931.mp4.html

Link to Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t3854-updated-banjo-highbanker-plans#43449

Back to top Go down

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker Empty Re: Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker

Post  someday Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Nice short vid James cheers Sad

P.s. Nevu did like magicians, practice practice practice! Oh I give in, Come on, tell us, How'd yu do it?? Very Happy

Mate your riffles are clearing out beautifully, Please tell me that was just fine sand and silt you shovelled in ? Sad

Nar you'd nevu have guessed I was haven a hard time with my cantankerous, should work better now, new bute mods, self inflicted nightmare HB : affraid

Where there's a problem, there's a solution "Where there's a problem there's a solution" I know there's a bloody problem, where's the solution?
Oh look a beer! Razz Sad cheers Razz Sad
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks mate glade that video worked not real good at that kind of thing. {Please tell me that was just fine sand and silt you shovelled in} Mate in my top hopper it classifiers down to just under ½ an inch with 2 mm jetting running down both sides of the unit. The wash you see going through the unit is just above pipe clay with a pipe clay mixed. If you watch the video you can see how the water cavitates {bubbles} in one line over the drop area before the riffle section. This is the best gold trap even better than the gold tray. Total clean up ¾ of a super sluice pan around 20 minutes to gold been put in me sucker bottle.

Cheers mate James 101

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:09 am

Chris mate post some photo's of your top hopper Top, side & bottom. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Welcome to my nightmare Razz Well part of it!

Top of hopper showing the 6mm woven mesh! New spray bars with 2 row 2mm jetting! not enough flow, Close but not quite, reckon 2.5 will be the go!
I gave my 3 row 3mm jetting bars a quick go with the new mods affraid WAY too much water affraid

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker Imgp0413
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:34 pm

Bottom view??
Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker Imgp0414

Cheers
Chris
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Someday just drill,every second or third hole to 2.5! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Chris This is what I can see that may cause you troubles.

1. The mesh looks like it will clog up which will stop a lot of wash entering the bottom hopper.

2. You need to place a small angle stop at the rear of the top hopper as shown in the photo of my unit. This will stop water and was spilling out the rear end of your unit.

3. The slick plate under the hopper dose not look right. To me I am thinking it needs more angle.

4. Your jetting pipe looks to be 32 mm I have found that 20 mm down to 15 mm works best for me. As Ark has stated just drill every second or third hole to 2.5 mm.

Hope that can help mate cheers

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker Imgp0413Medium

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker Imgp0414Medium

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker SDC10178Medium

©

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:47 pm

G'day James
The pipes are 20mm but only 450 long, I'm guessing your's are a tad longer looking at your pic, if thats the case, then larger jetting should counter the diff in length??
It does have a 12mm high stop at the end where you see the holes!

As for the angle of the skid plate, I'd say your onto it, it's only a 2" drop from front to back!

As for the classifier there needs to be an emoticon pic to show "Rickenrackensazelfrazelrickenrar" Razz

Cheers mate, the bins looken good cheers Sad

Cheers
Chris.

someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Chris I think the slick plate & mesh may be the biggest part of your problem. My jetting runs up to 500 mm I stopped them there, because the back of the top hopper is at an angle which permits self cleaning at that point I did not need to jet all the way to the end. I find the slots are the best shape for the punch plate area in the hopper which runs the full length of the hopper. The slick plate which is placed under the hopper starts at ½ inch down to 2 ½ inch drop where the wash enters the main sluice. The slick plate under the hopper plays a very important roll in as much as to let the gold settle into the wash before it enters into the main sluice.

Cheers mate. James 101

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks James Cool

Reckon why me hopper looks all wrong from the underside is because I built the strike plate into the hopper rendeer

I'm limited on depth where the hopper attach's cause of the capped of false bottom?? Sad ?? Laughing Sad Arrr yu get that!

I'l give the slotted classifier a go, if I can find some wide enough??

In the mean time, I'm in need of a gold fix, so a panning I will go cheers

Cheers
Chris
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 pm

someday wrote:Thanks James Cool

Reckon why me hopper looks all wrong from the underside is because I built the strike plate into the hopper rendeer

I'm limited on depth where the hopper attach's cause of the capped of false bottom?? Sad ?? Laughing Sad Arrr yu get that!

I'l give the slotted classifier a go, if I can find some wide enough??

In the mean time, I'm in need of a gold fix, so a panning I will go cheers

Cheers
Chris

That’s an easy fix mate just fit a lift kit to the rear end of the sluice. cheers

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker SDC10178Medium-1

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:48 pm

cheers James me add ons are getting heavy enough as it is, Yep contemplated that one, or just rebuild the back end Very Happy

Gave me spray bars the 2.5 treatment, works so much better, remember this is a foot wide, big mistake??!!

Here's a pic of the back end

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker Imgp0415

The hole's haven't been de-bur'd properly yet, so there's a bit of fan spray happening!!
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Mate that looks good I like the spray pattern. I would lift the back to give her just that little bit more angle not too much but jus a bit. I would also lay the hopper a bit flatter not much but a bit. Looks good like to hear how she goes. I winter you soon learn how to work with the wind in regards to the fan spray and getting wet. Grin Cheers
©

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Front end, me riffly front section not finished till I can see it working properly, the first riffle up-stream I made movable, at 110mm centres it works so much better!

I'm a stickler for reverse angle riffles, to me there's no comparison, this is through hands on with the riffle in me hands, moving distance and angle shows so much variation cheers

Well it does to me Sad cheers

Murachu’s Banjo/highbanker Imgp0416

Cheers
Chris

P.s. I'm all ears for criticism!
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Looks good to me but as you you say You have to try it. Angles is about the only area now i would look at. cheers mate The

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Whiskers wrote:In winter you soon learn how to work with the wind in regards to the fan spray and getting wet. Grin Cheers
©️

cheers Last winter -2 deg I'm standing in the middle of a river thinken if someone offered me a grand a day to do this I'd tell em where to go?
yet I'l do it for a couple grams on my own accord cheers Yep where a crazy bunch Razz
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  snowygold Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Have that top row of jets hitting about 12mm from the sides, this will give you a good cross over in the centre of the hopper. Then cut the sluice section in half, you don't need it and won't lose gold. cheers

snowygold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Welcome snowygold I like my bottom sluice to be around 1 meter long also. Everyone has a different outlook on this point. But if extra length is required for our units then we have a addon that can be attached. But the attachment must conform to certain requirements.
Welcome to the group cheers James 101

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Good call on the spray pat'n, the bars in me pic weren't even tight, just a quick pic! that clearly shows what your sayen!!

Nar not about to shorten it just yet, me an micro fine gold still got some issues to sort out Laughing

Cheers for the input.

Chris.
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  snowygold Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 pm

On a 300mm wide box you can drop your length down to about 800mm, just leave at least 200mm of slick between your catch tray and the first riffle. Don't go less than a 10mm classifier though. 12mm works great on a wide box.
The 10-12mm concentrates held up behind(note behind) your riffles will be enough to hold back the finest of flour gold. cheers

snowygold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm

as for classifiers, like I said on a different post, my 11mm square hole classifier was the best to date, catch tray's worked so much better, though it took a lot of water to get them performing!
The idea behind the latest mods is to lose the firefighter for a pump with far less weight??

I'm all for James's elongated classifier, just haven't found anything with the dimensions to do the job!

someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 pm

snowygold wrote:On a 300mm wide box you can drop your length down to about 800mm, just leave at least 200mm of slick between your catch tray and the first riffle. Don't go less than a 10mm classifier though. 12mm works great on a wide box.
The 10-12mm concentrates held up behind(note behind) your riffles will be enough to hold back the finest of flour gold. cheers

Good advice snowygold. ..... Chris keep an eye out for some electrical cable tray but if you use that you must put some supports under it or your hopper will belly out. cheers all James 101

Back to top Go down