Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dollys Creek worth detecting

+24
Soosa
ttrash
Jerryx4
kon61
Onmykneesdigging
littleazza1979
mvh12345
warrior707
the hill folk
krakenup
dannyp
Dinga82
grumpy57
someday
getascripter
GemQ
AnnieL
regamald
big fella
gldfvr
geof_junk
tezz
Robo
Detrackozi
28 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty Re: Dollys Creek worth detecting

Post  gldfvr Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Do not disregard the ironstone that give off signals as a lot off gold from dollys creek was covered with it .
I have found Mercury at times when panning there years ago .

gldfvr
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-12-05

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty First trip

Post  the hill folk Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:20 pm

hey there...heading to the Dollys Creek area for my first ever trip with a dectector. Built a basic Pulse Induction detector over the Christmas period. Its a "Gary Pulse 1" (Chemelec). Was a good project as there are lots of bits to solder together and then make the body etc from scratch. Wont pick up tiny flakes it think but seems reasonably sensitive all the same. Finds tiney fish hooks on the beach and coins are very loud. Never know what I will find. Not sure where to go in the area but I figure I will start where there are some indications of old diggings and I will focus on difficult to reach areas.........will post any results !! (or lack of !)

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty 1st trip done

Post  the hill folk Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Went to the Dollys Creek area today and found nothing of course. I didnt expect to by the way being my first excursion. Found bits of wire and nails etc. Was very confused as to where to go to look for those elusive bits of gold. The UTM (WGS 84) map ref for the spot I was in is 55 242781E 5817234N. South of the track that runs parralell and below Orchard track. Probably in totally the wrong area for detecting but I have to start somewhere. Not sure exactly what sort of dirt to look for that may have little nuggets. Easy to find where the quartz reefs poked out of the top of the hills but, once again, not sure this is the right sort of ground for the little nuggets that sit just below the surface. I imagine there are good detecting areas out there but the bush seems bigger in real life than on the maps thats for sure!! Any tips most, most welcome......Dave

Last edited by the hill folk on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More detail)

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:56 am

Least your out giving it a go Dave!
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty Some advice ?

Post  the hill folk Thu May 23, 2013 10:39 am

hey all,

Still very, very new to all this and have another question. There are some ripper maps etc on this thread (very kind contributors me thinks)and some areas circled in yellow where gold has been found etc....how do I interpret this info. ie; do i take it that the yellow areas have been detected to death or that the whole place has been detected with gold only being found in the yellow areas?
I know there are no complete answers as to where is the best spot to detect and I have no problem not finding anything for a full day out but I really dont want to come back from a day out at Dollys creek only to write about the day on this site and have someone tell me that I was in an area that was a complete waste of time.....

Any advice??

Harro

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Thu May 23, 2013 12:18 pm

It appears most of those maps are relating to digging with pan and sluice.
Have u been out there recently? I ask as once water is present I might have a poke about with the sluice.

Nothing is a waste of time when your out looking & having fun.
Hell I even sluiced an unthinkable river near the city for a few hours & found a needle prick speck for 4 hours lol
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty Dollys Creek

Post  the hill folk Thu May 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Havent been out there for a while but last time there was water so I expect there is more now. I am only interested in detecting though...

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty game on

Post  the hill folk Mon May 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Ok I have now got all the geology maps showing quartz reefs and mines etc for that area..... going to head out soon and target a couple of the reefs and work slowly downhill from there...might even play around in the creek as the AT Gold is waterproof.......we will see !!!!!

Last edited by the hill folk on Mon May 27, 2013 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling !)

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty Dollys Creek outing

Post  the hill folk Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:16 am

Ok...

had a day out at Dollys Creek with the AT Gold. Went to the areas of 423183 & 421181 (6 fig ref MGA84). Both these areas show on the geology maps as being an quartz reef's and where mines have been dug.
Unfortunately the gold eluded me on this day !! Again !!!!

Found a shotgun pellet, air rifle slug and a little tin stud (like off a pair of jeans) oh...and a lump of chain....

Happy that I found some small trash so I think things are working OK.

Observations...Lots and lots of hot rocks that register 00, 01 0r 99 on the display...( I believe that these may be referred to as Cold Rocks..I call all rocks that beep Hot Rocks !)from previous experiments I know that if a bit of gold or lead (on its own show around 40) is next to one of these type of HR's then the display will show between 2 and 10 so I was confident that 00 meant only a HR....I could lessen the noise by GB to a HR as well......

Also the signal from these rocks is inconsistent...swing one way and a signal..swing the other and maybe nothing...change the swing 90 degrees and all but gone maybe....certainly not the consistent repeatable signal of which I am listening for.

If I got a signal but no display I would dig till the signal was strong enough to show on the display and then make a decision...

Dug up a few ironstone pieces (size of a marble) as well....

Got lots of chattering as if I was near powerlines etc and a bit puzzled by this. I was with a guy who was using a Minelab GP3000 but we stayed at leat 100m apart so I dont think it was that ...any thoughts???

Previously on this forum there is a google earth map with some large yellow circles drawn where gold has been found in the past. These sites are just south of my map ref's above. Think I will give this area a go next time as at least I know there has been success in those areas....any thoughts????

Dave

Last edited by the hill folk on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : more info)

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:58 pm

I'd say most of the marked spots are probably better for pan and sluice along the banks but always worth a try.
Didn't have your mobile one or around u causing interference?
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty Dollys Creek outing

Post  the hill folk Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks jerryx4

Yes it certainly looks the right area for pan or sluice which is in line with the way the majority of gold was recovered in the early days. Will continue with the detector though as still to find my first bit with it. I am not frustrated though as I know that experienced detectorists sometimes go many outings with no result so I just have to keep at it. I will have another outing or two there and then maybe move onto Mt Doran.

I do learn heaps about the detector and the different ground everytime i go out though. I have heard it takes 50-100 hours to really learn your detector....I am startiting to agree.....

Dave

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  littleazza1979 Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Its a good spot for a pan ill be there on sunday having a go . Iv had a bit of a swing with the 5000 out there and got some small nuggets but lot's of junk

littleazza1979
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty Little nuggets

Post  the hill folk Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:49 am

Hope you have a successful pan !  I would be more than happy with even one little nugget !  Will be back there soon to have another go....

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:52 am

I've modded my power sluice into a highbanker so just need pump and piping then ill head up there for a day.
Would be awesome if u could snap some pics of the stream at the camp site just to get an idea of the water flow/crossing ability & terrain Smile
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  littleazza1979 Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Water flow is very good if you PM me your phone number ill send you a pic

littleazza1979
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  littleazza1979 Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Had a pan today but the water has dropped a bit and its not flowing we need some more rain . Still a nice day out in the bush

littleazza1979
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks heaps for the pics ! Smile
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty back at it

Post  the hill folk Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:48 am

Heading out there tomorrow with the detector....fingers crossed.....

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty A plan

Post  the hill folk Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:00 pm

OK... I have a plan for tomorrow and am interested in anyones thoughts.....
Location - As shown ealier on the topic, the yellow circle on the north side of Orchard track marked "Gold found"
Will focus on the tricky areas such as under logs, bushes etc. This is because the AT Gold has a small coil.
Will also focus on where trees have brought up earth as they have grown. Think I will even scrape back the mound around some trees till level with surrounding soil. This will give me a few inches deeper on untouched earth than otherwise and its real easy to do....

Will be interesting as I have experimented a lot with the AT Gold since my last outing at Dolly's and continue to learn the detector.

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  littleazza1979 Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:36 pm

That's a good spot to start if you walk down the bike track you will see a nice clear spot that someone has put some work in its on the left (2 nuggets come off there two weeks ago ) have a good look and go nice and slow

littleazza1979
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty no gold

Post  the hill folk Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:10 am

Ok so no gold.....nothing new.....found little shotgun pellets, bullets, casings and trash so didn't come home empty handed ! Will be back !

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:52 pm

I've been told it's there.
Keep on keeping on. I'll head up there with my sluice in the next few weeks see how it goes.
you take any pics up there (i have already been passed on a few Smile )
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Jerry

Good to see you are making some use of the maps,,,,,,,, you would of love it just when the fire burnt it all you could of driven down to any part of the creek.

Got any photos or Vid of the sluice in action

Back in 2004
Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 2ClubPicnic23-5-04_zps03d3b845

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 6MyFindPicnicDay23-5-04_zps73191374

Out of the creek
Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 9DeridrePicnicNugget2004_zps549d673e

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Bob3_zpsa8542b7d
David
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty bloody hell !

Post  the hill folk Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Nice work !!

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:12 am

Well there's some inspiration that its there if ever I've seen it!
No sluice pics as yet, I'll cut the hopper & mount the spraybar this weekend. Just gotta wait for the tax to arrive so I can get the pump ordered
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty Pics

Post  the hill folk Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:11 pm

No worries Jerry4x4,

I can take some pics of the stream near where I am next time I go out if thats what you want. Its been interesting watching the posts on this thread and others and I still say that if I am finding bullets and shotgun pellets then no one has been there before me! Next time I go out I will study the landscape much more closely and target areas that are both difficult to access and in a depression where the gold might have settled. I think the trick for me is to figure out what are old depressions versus new ones.......Its strange how you can have a lot of fun and find nothing!!!!

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:12 pm

G,Day the hill folk,If you have found a place no one else has been to,Well done,No such place,Well that,s what I thought.Good luck out there.
Big Fella
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:30 am

the hill folk wrote:No worries Jerry4x4,

I can take some pics of the stream near where I am next time I go out if thats what you want. Its been interesting watching the posts on this thread and others and I still say that if I am finding bullets and shotgun pellets then no one has been there before me! Next time I go out I will study the landscape much more closely and target areas that are both difficult to access and in a depression where the gold might have settled. I think the trick for me is to figure out what are old depressions versus new ones.......Its strange how you can have a lot of fun and find nothing!!!!

Or it could be some ppl don't dig every sound ! Going on some posts in here a lot of ppl don't think its necessary to scrape their coils or dig every sound! So if you are finding lead and digging it, it's only a matter of time and you will find the ones they have left !!! cheers 

Back to top Go down

Dollys Creek worth detecting - Page 2 Empty another trip

Post  the hill folk Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:41 am

OK so another day out with no gold......went on Friday and spent the first couple of hours in the rain which want a bother...started at GR 423174 abd headed south to the creek then headed east to about 427170 then headed north and crossed the track at 425174. Stayed on the north side of that track and headed west back to the car. About 5 hrs in total.. kept looking for likely ( probably dont know what "likely" actually is) spots that didnt look completely beaten down by other people and also searched around the base of lots of trees.. Disappointing result but reading lots of posts on this forum it can be a long long way between drinks ( would like that first drink though :-) )....Found a couple of .22 casings, bullet and one shotgun pellet so I know the detector does work....
I think I probably dont know enough about how to pick where to swing the detector....I am sure there must be gold to find still in this area of bush so I will keep having a go....
Any advice much appreciated..

Harro

the hill folk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerryx4 Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:27 pm

May have to take a pan next time and leave the detector in the car lol
Jerryx4