Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maps for Oziexplorer CE

Go down

Maps for Oziexplorer CE Empty Maps for Oziexplorer CE

Post  madmax800 Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi All,

I am trying to set up a palm pilot running win ce and ozi ce.

Has any 1 got info on where I can get WA , Vic and NSW maps for this.

Thanks

John
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Maps for Oziexplorer CE Empty Re: Maps for Oziexplorer CE

Post  Guest Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi John;

Any of the maps used by the PC version of OziExplorer can be converted to use with OziCe.

Ozi CE requires map image files to be converted to .ozfx3 format e.g. if you were using a Dunolly goldfield map you may have a map image file of Dunolly.gif and a corresponding map data file
called Dunolly.map. You would run these files through a conversion program to end up with a map image file
Dunolly.ozfx3 and a corresponding map data file of Dunolly_ozf.map.

The conversion program is called Img2ozf which can be downloaded free from the oziexplorer web site.

Geographically I am not far from your place so if you run into problems we could arrange to meet.

I am currently using OziExplorer PC version on a Laptop and OziCe in a VMS car dash mounted navigation system.

Scrat

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax800 Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi Scrat,
I loaded several 34.ozf2 files and 34_BENAYEO.map type files into Ozi CE and they seem to work.

So why do I need to convert to ozfx3, is it because they are made smaller in size or is there another reason.

Thanks

John
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi John;
I'm limited in my knowledge of OziCE but i believe that the conversion is required because of the way CE handles the files.
Naturally a palm pilot and my VMS system does not have the grunt that a laptop has.
I believe that the normal map files used by the PC version are too big to be handled by CE therefore the conversion program breaks them down into a more manageable form. This was the reason given to me some time ago.
Scrat

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax800 Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi again,

I am converting some file, see what happens once done.
Thanks
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax800 Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:08 pm

I am still confused by the file types.

When I load either or both types I can not get the maps to find the next adjoining map.
I have to go into the menu and search for it.
Does this seem right
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi John;

The problem you are having is not uncommon.

First of all in your configuration you must specify the path to your ******.map files and you must also specify the path or paths to your map image files.

I store my map and image files in the same folder e.g. C:\OziExplorer\MyMaps and specify that 'one' path for both in the configuration.
I never have the problem of the program not being able to find the next map North, East etc.

To simplify my mapping when swapping from PC to CE version, once the maps have been converted to ozfx3 I use the ozfx3 maps exclusively, transferring the original PC version images and map files to an archive directory. This overcomes the problem of having a non converted file within the map files and also reduces
the working size of your map folder.

Regards

Scrat

Back to top Go down