Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Threshold setting dilema

3 posters

Go down

Threshold setting dilema Empty Threshold setting dilema

Post  carbine pete Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:00 pm

I would like to have a better understanding of the 2oclock thresold setting. At 2 oclock and assuming I have every thing else ok, the noise is too loud, how low can i turn down the dial without loosing sensitivity?
carbine pete
carbine pete
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-10-02

Back to top Go down

Threshold setting dilema Empty Re: Threshold setting dilema

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:59 pm

carbine pete wrote:I would like to have a better understanding of the 2oclock thresold setting. At 2 oclock and assuming I have every thing else ok, the noise is too loud, how low can i turn down the dial without loosing sensitivity?

G'day cp, I have not heard of the 2 o'clock setting, nor do I think that the adjustment will alter any sensitivity too much at all, the threshold should be should be a low audible STEADY humm, the best way it was described to me was that it should sound like a mozzy winging around you head. If I am wrong here I'm sure the others will jump straight on it.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Threshold setting dilema Empty thanks

Post  carbine pete Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:09 am

Threshold setting dilema Confused So at the lowest level that i can hear a continuous hum i wont loose any sensativity at all?
carbine pete
carbine pete
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:18 pm

carbine pete wrote:Threshold setting dilema Confused So at the lowest level that i can hear a continuous hum i wont loose any sensativity at all?

Hi pete

It just needs to be stable as possible, not breaking in and out, this is to low, just turn the knob down until it is silent then turn it up until it is steady. This may be at 2'Oclock or it may be a 12 'Oclock it depends on the detector as they are all a bit different. It is an analogue setting so it is a bit subjective, if it were a digital number it would be more objective and a lot less confusion, (maybe something that is in the next model).

Threshold is not so much a sensetivity thing as a method for hearing/measuring a change in the threshold hum to alert the user to a potential target.

No threshold at all = very difficult to decide where a potential target is. Very high threshold, turned way up can mask a potential soft target, somewhere in between is what is best so it is easy enough to listen to and you can tell when a subtle change takes place in the threshold giving you a clue as to a possible target.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:54 pm

That's the best explanation I've seen of "the Threshhold" Dave. ML should incorporate your version in their manuals

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian addonas Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Threshold setting dilema Icon_smile Hello CP

Threshold at aprox two o’clock is the accepted norm .Cant remember but I think that is the book recommendation

While a stable threshold is desirable I wonder if 2 o’clock suits all machines and all personal hearing capabilities.

I for one have some hearing problems and find a slightly higher threshold and signal setting works best for me.

Further if using headphones particularly in windy conditions when you suspect a change in threshold [possible target] with your free hand push

The ear muffs hard around your ear and pass the coil over the area again

You will be genuinely surprised at the difference.

Adrian addonas . alive and well , and still finding a little bit of gold with my ML Threshold setting dilema Icon_rolleyes

adrian addonas
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Threshold setting dilema Empty THANKS

Post  carbine pete Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:40 am

Good stuff, thanks from Carbine Pete
carbine pete
carbine pete
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:16 pm

I know that all machines differ but I find that running my 4500 threshold in the 2 o'clock position is too loud.
I am generally running it in the 12 o'clock or slightly less!
Goldstalker's comment of it sounding like a mozzie is what I look for.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:28 am

Gday

As described the threshold should be a low and just audible steady hum, sometimes depending on the conditions, say if its windy you may have to turn it up a bit more to compensate for that.

It is very important that the threshold be set in this way if you want to get the best performance from your machine, if you have the threshold too high it can mask soft mellow signals, if you have it so that its breaking up and warbly you will miss signals, if you have it down too low you will miss signals from small nuggets.

Your focus while detecting should be solely on the threshold as this is the means by which you will be alerted to a target being present, that is why it is so important for it to be set correctly, most large or close to the surface targets will generate enough of a response to break the threshold level so they are not a problem, but small or deeply buried targets are harder to hear and may only be a very subtle waver in the threshold level, these vague responses are what you should be listening for.

Its easier to do this with headphones than with external speakers and I have found that the speaker generally needs to be running with the threshold at a higher level to keep it stable and audible at the same time, for best results if you are working a patch or deep ground where the signals can be really vague try doing this only in the very early mornings when it is still and cool, you will get the best stability in the threshold as the ground is not as active as it is as it heats up and there is wind movement.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down