A Course in Basic Geology

Go down

A Course in Basic Geology Empty A Course in Basic Geology

Post  The Bat on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi

Anyone aware of a short online course in Basic Geology that could assist this newbie in the hobby?

Thanks

Bat
The Bat
The Bat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2012-10-01

Back to top Go down

A Course in Basic Geology Empty Re: A Course in Basic Geology

Post  marty on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:15 pm

Havn't heard of any but would be pretty handy though !

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

A Course in Basic Geology Empty Geology

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:25 pm

We will be running 2 day geology/prospecting courses early next year, ran by geologist and fulltime prospector. This should teach you what you need to know. They won't be online unfortunately but there will be some in each state. Fill out the contact form at http://goldnuggetadventures.com/prospecting-lessons-guided-tours/ if your interested.

DD

Back to top Go down

Post  glenno on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:26 am

The Bat wrote:Hi

Anyone aware of a short online course in Basic Geology that could assist this newbie in the hobby?

Thanks

Bat

Go read Patches posts on Finders forum. ( for a start ) Top Stuff. for an old bloke. ( and a beginner to ) Very Happy

true.
glenno
glenno
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

A Course in Basic Geology Empty A short Geology lesson online.

Post  JohnApthorp on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:26 am

Hi,
I found that by logging onto www.youtube.com & typing in "Prospector Jess" in the search box - a great help.
Hope it helps someone else.
Gary.

JohnApthorp
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  goldendream on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:22 am

I've heard something like Bendigo Tafe has a course.There'll be others on the forum who know which one I'm talking about.

goldendream
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Try this youtube site- "art of gold mining". this geo/ miner in WA has about 11 blogs starting with basic geology and what to look for . Seems to know his trade and is intersting to watch- hope this helps-DJARU.

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:32 pm

If anyone knws of a corse like this near ballarat please contact me, as im very interested in this. Thanks
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 551
Registration date : 2012-08-12

https://youtu.be/s_5Td2wPusA

Back to top Go down

Post  The Bat on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks all. Some interesting research ahead of me methinks.

Bat
The Bat
The Bat
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Poopsy4254 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Yep, those youtube art of gold mining vids are a great place to start also gold is where you find it by same chap is worth watching. Very Happy Pooopsy

Poopsy4254
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Ren's Patch on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:04 pm

The Bat wrote:Hi

Thanks

Bat

G'day bat, the type of course that you would want would have to be about Hmmmm, finding gold and where to look! To assist you in your hobby. Unfortunately there would be no such thing from an accredited teaching facility. The Geology that they teach you would have nothing to do with finding gold. I deal with geo's on a daily basis and I stopped asking them about where to look years ago. If the geo has no mineral exploration back ground and not interested in prospecting you will only get text book answers, which is understandable! I think the same would happen with lectures.

There is a crap load of information at your finger tips, save your dollars and go look for it..... http://geology.com/ start here and also this link is for a Geology lecturer with a gorges hot hot hot voice that is guaranteed to keep you awake...lol.. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUrN12ixacxFIV0DT_-noOIg She is very good so pay attention Very Happy

Here is another link to a very respected and senior geologist Colin Plumridge...also have a look at other video's of Colin at rimfireasx youtube page. https://youtu.be/jcnMaxRXl_w

Good luck with your projects.
Ren...
Ren's Patch
Ren's Patch
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  The Bat on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:58 am

Thanks Ren. The mind boggles. Think I'll give all the Techno stuff a miss and just go out and have fun!

Bat
The Bat
The Bat
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:11 pm

The fact that some say that doing a course would probably not help you find gold bathels me. I suppose it could be possible that the geologists who are prospectors to could only be telling you fibs so the less likely ground that's still holding gold wont get covered so easy.
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ren's Patch on Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:52 pm

The Bat wrote:Thanks Ren. The mind boggles. Think I'll give all the Techno stuff a miss and just go out and have fun!

Bat

Hey Bat, you can give one of the prospecting shops a ring, a lot of them these days offer detecting day courses!

That may suite you better!

Cheers Ren...
Ren's Patch
Ren's Patch
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Here is a link to an online E publication called "Shaping a Nation-the geology of a nation" The book was produced by Geoscience Australia.

http://epress.anu.edu.au/titles/shaping-a-nation/pdf-download

It is easy to read and you can pick and choose interesting chapters. ie Chapter 8, which explains how the gold was emplaced in the VIC goldfields and provinces in WA etc..

I have spent many years working for government on rocks, fossils and geodiversity and i always have a good geology dictionary by my side. There is just so much to learn. I recommend that anyone wanting to study geology or anyone who just wants to understand words they see on Geo maps and EL reports should get one. The penguin geology dictionaries often turn up cheap in op shops and second hand book shops. Or you can put shortcuts to a couple online geology glossaries on your desktop.

The more you understand geology and how to identify and interpret rocks and geo maps and reports the better chance you will have of locating element 79.

Cheers Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Management

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Does anyone know the contacts for the creswick course coming up in feb?
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  trianglemal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Did the Bendigo TAFE geology short course a couple of years back that included field trips around the triangle. It was a great learning experience and a little hard to comprehend in places. The course was conducted by a full time working Geologist with many years of experience surveying exploration sites around our state. People travelled from interstate to attend the course which was never widely advertised but I reckon you could learn a lot more in simpler ways by tagging along with some old hands who had spent a lot of time on the ground.

Good luck with your journey.
trianglemal
trianglemal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 pm

cabletie wrote:Does anyone know the contacts for the creswick course coming up in feb?
You mean DD's courses?

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Prospecting is a combination of skill, probability and a smidgen of luck. It's more an "art" then a science, although I'm sure everyone has their own opinions there. Specially when it only takes a single trip out to make an old hand. Everyone is an expert in this field lol.. Sure knowledge can help, every bit helps when prospecting, but newbies should set their priorities elsewhere before wanting to know how the Earth's crust is formed. Unless you learn good technique first then everything else goes to waste. All the geology you need at the start you can pick up as you go along. Set your priorities to more essential things.

1) Good detecting technique
2) Detector settings - default settings are useless.
3) Where to go

Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  cabletie on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:27 pm

As to where to go, I think alot of people come unstuck. Some go straight to the diggings, others try places ks away from any sign of gold, either can be good or bad. Just depends how lucky you are if any one has thoroughly detected at the area or not.
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down