Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NSW Forests fossicking access and EL's

3 posters

Go down

NSW Forests fossicking access and EL's Empty NSW Forests fossicking access and EL's

Post  DetectorDave Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:49 am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, if you have a fossicking permit from NSW Forests and a forest has an EL over it, do you still need permission from the mining company?
I've checked all the regulations I can find on the Internet but it's not clear to me.

Thanks,
Dave

DetectorDave
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

NSW Forests fossicking access and EL's Empty Re: NSW Forests fossicking access and EL's

Post  Guest Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:50 am

As far as i was aware, if the area you are fossicking in is a designated fossicking area like braidwood, hill end and i think Nundle then you may fossick on EL's without permission. Anywhereelse you must get the EL's permission first Sad

Back to top Go down

NSW Forests fossicking access and EL's Empty Re: NSW Forests fossicking access and EL's

Post  DetectorDave Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks Shivan,

Yes, that was my understanding as well, I wish the details were a bit clearer. The term 'designated fossicking area' could be misconstrued, as one might think all forests become designated areas if you have a permit from NSW Forests.

I decided to contact the mining company anyway and an initial phone conversation today was encouraging. I have followed up with an email to them so they can formally grant permission in writing.
Their only concerns were the type of mineral I was fossicking for (obviously gold) and the actual area within the forest where I would be, so they could check that I wouldn't impede on any operations they are undertaking.

I'll let the forum know what the outcome is, it might help other members in the future.

Dave

DetectorDave
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Keep digg'n Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 pm

What about say sunny corner would or do you need to get permission to fossick there? scratch

Last edited by Keep digg'n on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : made a mistake)

Keep digg'n
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben78 Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Unless it is a designated fossicking area you have to get permission.

There is a EL over most areas here in Coffs Harbour, I just phoned the EL holder and told them what I was doing (panning/detecting) and they said no worries. I made a note of the conversation date time and brief points of what was said.

Ben78
Ben78
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down