Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What type of backpack do you use? or recomend

+3
Digginerup
Acrux93
stilltrying
7 posters

Go down

What type of backpack do you use? or recomend Empty What type of backpack do you use? or recomend

Post  stilltrying Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi all, I have on old model back pack but it when I lean forward the battery nearly smacks me in the back of my head. The other problem I have is when wearing a seperate toolbelt / rubbish bag the weight drags my pants down. Not a good look,LOL. I have looked at minersden and they have shingleback which incorporates pick holder in harness, but after looking at it I'm it little concerned on whether these rub on neck where the shoulder straps crossover. The shingleback harness does appear that it would solve other issues, but don't want to spend money to possible find another problem.
Can anybody advise or recomend a harness that incorprates pick belt that might suit my needs. Somebody might even have the shingleback and be able to tell me if this is a problem.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

What type of backpack do you use? or recomend Empty Re: What type of backpack do you use? or recomend

Post  Acrux93 Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:30 pm

I use a Shingleback. Great quality & haven't noticed any problems with the shoulders. One problem I had with them though... either find a way to secure the water bottle holder in place or don't use it. The day I bought it, I broke a battery cable. The next time out, I broke another battery cable. Finally realised the water bottle was working its way back & banging up against the cable. After that I bought a heavy duty cable & stopped using the water bottle.
Acrux93
Acrux93
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-04-21

Back to top Go down

What type of backpack do you use? or recomend Empty Re: What type of backpack do you use? or recomend

Post  Guest Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:17 pm

why dont u get a late model minelab harness and get an irwin hammer holder and slot that in on the left side to hold ya pick--The battery is on your lower rump and theres no way u will get hit in the head.--rubbish bag, --stick it in ya pocket--or bury it in a deep tector hole.

good luck
Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:03 pm

What type of backpack do you use? or recomend Img_0018

Hi Folks, Hi Stilltrying, Smile still feeling my way with the backpack thing, whatever suits your needs I guess is whats best, here's one I'm using at moment, I made it from a vaccuum cleaner backpack frame and some army stuff I had, it holds 2lt water and an assortment of gear including a snake bite kit and some first aid stuff along with what I call my "**** I'm lost gear", I sincerely hope I never need it !!!, with full water and a snack it weighs in at about 7 kilos but is quite comfortable and has a steel piece at the top where I can hang my pick by its magnet on my back when I'm not using it, my pick handle is too long to wear on a belt.
Regards
Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:30 pm

http://www.mitchells.net.au/shop/product_info.php?products_id=82&osCsid=0c9d9e9a38fab489b025c6283d2b1e33

This is what I use, carries all my stuff that I need, after using one of these I would never go back to the minelab harness, the battery fits like a glove into the second pocket and all that is needed is a couple of small holes cut into the side for the power lead and headphones, it is surprising how much water you drink when you have it on you and don't have to walk back to the car to get a drink. I ended up buying a couple for my mates so they could use them as well.
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Gday Stilltrying, After a year of back pain with a cheap Rays outdoors pack, I finally bought a Camelbak. It is fully adjustable and sits perfectly, backpain gone. As far as your pick belt falling down, I had the same problem. Fixed it by putting a bungy strap to the left D ring on the pack and through the pick belt. Cheers Harry
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Show Me The Gold Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:16 pm

i use army webbing this solves the water problem and stroage for the battery can be easily to as there are a number of different ill try and pop a couple of picks up later but you have everthing you need on it a place for your battery to go food storage you can get a back pack attachgment fot it then you can carry a tent on mine i have 2x 1 littre watter bottles and 4x minimi pouches (Hold the rounds for the minimi light machine gun in real life 200 to be precise so you get a feel for the size of each) 1x m9 bayonet awesome bush knife
Show Me The Gold
Show Me The Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltrying Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks people some interesting choices.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:05 pm

G'day Guys.

Like Shiraz stated,you can't go wrong with Camelbak.I use the military,desert camo color,11 Litre (3 Ltr water reservoir) 8 Ltr dual pocket storage space and I couldn't be happier with the comfort.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down