Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey has anyone found gold with a mine lab 705 xterra?

+5
philip.j.thompson
goldquest
getascripter
stilltrying
cabletie
9 posters

Go down

Hey has anyone found gold with a mine lab 705 xterra? Empty Hey has anyone found gold with a mine lab 705 xterra?

Post  cabletie Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey mateys. I have a minelab 705 as my first detector, Iv been detecting thoroughly for about three months and havent found any gold as of yet but plenty of lead bullets and brass bullets. Just wondering if anyone has found any or heard of anyone finding some with this lower price machine? I sorta feel like its the machine letting me down rather than it being me lol. Thanks guys.
cabletie
cabletie
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2012-08-12

https://youtu.be/s_5Td2wPusA

Back to top Go down

Hey has anyone found gold with a mine lab 705 xterra? Empty welcome

Post  stilltrying Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi, welcome yes they will my brother found a nugget with his Xterra 70 in march. The nugget was 36.19 grams march. He has now got a SD 2100 as well as his Xterra. I have an Xterra 70 and recently got a GP Extreme.
You still need to be lucky enough to walk over a nugget. You will have a much better chance with a Sd2100 or better, but you can still pay for your xterra at parks and beach also. I wouldn't be without Xterra, mine sleeps in car and comes out to play often.
Good luck cabletie, Dave
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Hey has anyone found gold with a mine lab 705 xterra? Empty Re: Hey has anyone found gold with a mine lab 705 xterra?

Post  getascripter Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 pm

My X-Terra 705 Gold Pack was DYNAMITE on the beach!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Hey has anyone found gold with a mine lab 705 xterra? Empty Re: Hey has anyone found gold with a mine lab 705 xterra?

Post  goldquest Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi cabletie, do not waste your money with an SD series, they are obsolete compare to the new generation of metal detectors because you don't have a chance in hell to find anything, keep your X terra 705 and save for a GPX series.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltrying Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:41 pm

Completly disagree with sorry goldquest but we haven't all got $6500 for the latest GPX 5000. If a person has a budget of about $1100 the SD2100 would in my opinion be the best option. I also don't believe that there is a huge difference. I have minelab adds claiming some machines could go up to 18% deeper than prevous model. If we believe every machine is 10 % better than the last model the GPX5000 would be punching about 6 or 7 foot by now and it certanly can't do that.
I also spoke to lots of people before getting my machine and was told by many the older machines (SD2100 Sd 2200 GP Extremes) are as good as the GPX 5000 on anything bigger than fly$!8t. So as far as I'm concern buy what you can afford and be out doing what we enjoy. All these machines are great and if I couldn't have what I have got, I'd be out with what I could whether it be a Tandy, Dicksmith or a GPX5000 at least I'd be out enjoying the bush and when I find something then it's a bonus.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Hey has anyone found gold with a mine lab 705 xterra? Empty Wake up

Post  philip.j.thompson Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:02 pm

So you are finding targets. That is a good thing. Believe me something will come, and don't expect a machine to determine your future. Think lotto, think odds and welcome to the world of metal detecting and expectations. pirat

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:31 am

goldquest wrote:Hi cabletie, do not waste your money with an SD series, they are obsolete compare to the new generation of metal detectors because you don't have a chance in hell to find anything, keep your X terra 705 and save for a GPX series.
Cheers
Goldquest

Gday

I also have to disagree with this statement, just for the record in the first year after the release of the sd2000 they say there were several millionaires made and many other people did very well with them, any sd detector in experienced hands can still do very well, and there are still many users who wont use anything else, but like anything you still have to take the time to learn and master them.

At the end of the day you can only use whatever machine your budget will allow, we all started somewhere, I bought my first detector a garrett groundhog back in the 1980's and have had literally dozens of detectors since then, all of which have found gold allbeit some more than others, but with every machine its been a learning curve to get to know it before the gold has come along.

The latest detectors make it easy for an inexperienced operator to find good gold, with factory presets etc you dont really need to know what you are doing as long as you can manage to flip the on switch your in with a chance, apart from that I know that luck does play some part in success as I have known a few "tin bum" detectorists that do very well but are hard pressed to understand even some of the basics of how the machine works, and get a blank look on their faces when you try to explain menu choices.

At the end of the day as long as you are using a minelab pi detector you have the chance of getting gold, so dont be put off by others comments, at the end of the day you still have to have to be swinging the coil and getting the coil over the nugget, buy the best you can afford and get on with looking for the gold, if I was to have to go back a few models of detector for some reason or another my two choices would be either an sd2100 or a gp extreme, both easy to use and hot on the gold when set up right.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Bushed-Tracker Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:48 am

Stayyerau's post is spot on. Goldquest you have your wires crossed my mate any test in mineralised ground the Minelab machines will blow away any VLF machine. In those rare areas with gold and little mineralisation a good VLF with do well on the shalower stuff but the PI will outperform it at depth. The latest ML PI machine are brilliant all-rounders in the quest for gold

I own a 4500 and Xterra 70 and like stayyer AU my first machine was a Garret Groundhog back in the early 80's I have also owned a ML15000 17000 and a Euraka and a 2200.

John
Bushed-Tracker
Bushed-Tracker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi Bushed Traker, maybe my wires are crossed but I would not bet on yours, propably you spend to much time in the bush and 've forgotten how to communicate with other human beings, I was only expressing my opinion, is not this the reason why we join forums.
If the SD series are so good as you say why there are so many for sale oneBay.
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltrying Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:13 pm

If people buy new machines or retire due to illness they often trade or sell SD, GP, & GPX including GPX 5000. As far as I'm concern the number of these secondhand machines hasn't changed. However I honestly believe some older model minelab machines such as SD 2100 2200 are getting better prices lately. Also I have heard of a number of people actual selling GPX 5000 & go back to GPX 4500's because they believe they were better.
We buy what is within our means, I don't need the latest model to keep up with the Jone's either.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:18 am

Gday

There are as many later model machines on ebay as there are earlier ones, and as earlier stated the reasons are as many as they are varied, its a fact of life in this hobby that we progress upwards in equipment and buying,selling and swapping of gear is part of the game, we all do it as we decide what we like to use, dont like to use, and what thing suits us better over something else.

It would be hard to put a number on how many detectors of each model are out there, but if you are an avid watcher of what comes up for sale on ebay then you will also see that very often you will get a run of the same model of machine, sometimes after one sells at a good price, or is being aggressively bid on, you will see several more appear straight away, I just put this down to the fact that when other people see the item for sale, and then they get the notion that they can get a good price or quick sale on their machine.

There are more people starting out with entry level pi machines simply due to the start up costs in this hobby, and once they start to learn and progress then they also get the desire to upgrade to a later model machine, this does not mean that the earlier machines are faulty or somehow defunct as they will still do the job they were made for but the simple reality is that gold is getting harder to find and all the areas that are visited by people learning the ropes of the hobby have been pounded, the later machines are with out doubt better on small gold but any machine from the sd2000 upwards is more than adequate for patch hunting new ground.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim. Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:55 am

Hi all,

Cablety, I used to run an x terra 70 with a gold coil, I can honestly say it struggled big time in mineralised ground, and in frustration I sold it and bought a few coils for my 3500...........

The SDs and GPs are still great/capable machines (dont let anone tell you otherwise). By the way, my 3500 paid for itself within a year (no one gets it all mate) , my advice to you would be try to find yourself a good 2200, and have a go.

Jim

Jim.
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Bushed-Tracker Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Over the year the ML PI mchine have improved in several areas (a) more sophisticated timings to control/filter ground noise = great stability (b) the ability to run mono coils and (c) the abilty to detect increasingly small gold. Coils have also improved considerably. But the early machines obsolete - certainly not they are still very capable on +1 gram nuggets and deep gold. To chase "fly poo" (x10 to the gram)successfully you need a GPX model.

Just my opinion

John
Bushed-Tracker
Bushed-Tracker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  gold digger Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 pm

hi all i have an x terra 705 i will never part with it it's killer in the parks and on the beach on luck on the gold fields am going to get a pi soon it will be an sd 2200 from all the reading i have been doing on this forum and others sounds like the machine for me they are finding plenty of gold cheers steve

gold digger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-10-20

http://airlie79@yahoo.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Poss Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 am

Hello Cabletie, if your getting targets, then you will inevitabely find gold ( hopefully ) .. i have just bought a SD 2200 v2, and it was $1500 in awesome as new condition and came with a 450 mm DD coil and the standard coil, i too am finding bullets, tin, wire, nails, screws, and even the tiinniest bits of wire... i have a test piece of gold that i use to compare the sounds.. its more of a low tone than the junk( except lead ) ...so i am slowly getting used to this machine... it does punch deep, and seems good on sml bits too.. brest of luck in your quest.. Poss

Poss
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-09-19

Back to top Go down