Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AliBrite instructions please

4 posters

Go down

AliBrite instructions please Empty AliBrite instructions please

Post  bungarra Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi all

Having searched many suppliers I can confirm that BCF (here in WA) has the product on the shelves as of today anyway...now I have purchased a supply for future proofing.

Questions for those using it...

1 Can it be reused?...or are its properties diminished after say a week of soaking nuggets to remove mostly impossible to remove dirt (I have an ultrasonic cleaner) that does not cut the mustard on some of mine

2 I assume the amount used is so to just cover the gold?

3 When neutralising afterwards with Bi Carb...what strengths ( ie powder to water ratio) and for how long (I assume stops reacting / fizzing)

Thanks

Last edited by bungarra on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling of product)
bungarra
bungarra
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-04-11

Back to top Go down

AliBrite instructions please Empty ALiBrite instructions??

Post  bungarra Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:12 am

Had this post up for over a week now with no replies. Hopefully changing this title might get some attention and some answers

Thanks
bungarra
bungarra
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

AliBrite instructions please Empty Re: AliBrite instructions please

Post  Guest Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:51 pm

G'day bungarra

I leave the gold (nuggets) in for maybe a week till they look nice n clean, take em out every couple of days and give em a rince and a scrub and put em back in. If the alibrite is getting very dirty looking I change it.

If trying to get quartz out of a specie you may need to leave in in alibrite for a month to 6 weeks or so, do the same as above and take it out and give it a scrub every now and then and change the alibrite about every week as it seems to get a bit diluted doing its job.

I sprinkle about a spoon ful of Bi-carb on the nuggets in a steel pan then add hot water and bring to the boil for short while to neturalize any residual acid in the nuggets.

If you just want a specie to still have a certain amount of quartz left and brighten the gold and quartz in it then after treatment with alibrite, (you are happy with the result) sprinkle a spoon full of Bi-card on the specie in a steel dish and cover with fairly warm water and leave it soak in it for a good while. Sometimes if you try and boil a specie it will crack it (the quartz) so just soak it in fairly warm water with the Bi-carb.

Hope this is of some help to you, I use alibrite fairly often and this is basicly what I do. Be careful with it as it is an acid and you are using it straight from the bottle full strength, so use protective gloves and have some water on hand in a dish incase you accidently splash some on youself you can rinse it off straight away.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

AliBrite instructions please Empty thanks

Post  bungarra Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:30 pm

G'day Dave

Thanks a lot mate...just the answers I needed

Regards

Graeme
bungarra
bungarra
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDGASM Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Hey guys, reading this topic with interest and will be using AliBrite on a nug I found recently. Davsgold once you have neutralised the nugget of residual acid what's the next step I mean when is it safe to handle the gold?

Cheers GG
GOLDGASM
GOLDGASM
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Just to add -make sure you put it in appropriate safe container not just ordinary plastic one.

GoldEN

Yes it safe to handle it.
Well i do rinse it after for a while in a water as well.No problem to handle it after.

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:20 pm

For those interested, here is Material Safety Data Sheet - AliBrite instructions please ATA1
http://www.septone.com.au/msds/ATA1.pdf
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDGASM Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I have had a look at the msds, it's pretty corrosive stuff aye.

Cheers GG
GOLDGASM
GOLDGASM
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:14 pm

After the removal of the nugget from the Alibrite, rince it in plain water. Then I put my nuggets in a screw top plastic container with warm water and dishwashing detergent ( I use Morning Fresh) and give the container a good shake for about one minute, then rince with cold water and place on a paper towel to dry. You will then notice that the nuggets come up clean and very bright. This will also neutralise any acid left on the nuggets.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

AliBrite instructions please Empty Alibrite

Post  pergola46 Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:23 pm

I have regularly found it available in Super Cheap Auto.

Cheers,
PetrG
pergola46
pergola46
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  GOLDGASM Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:45 pm

Yeah that's where i bought mine from pergola anyway to update everyone I cleaned up the nugget and all the ironstone coating is gone. Very happy with alibrite but will be just as happy to avoid using the stuff.

Cheers GG
GOLDGASM
GOLDGASM
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:06 pm

GOLDGASM wrote:Hey guys, reading this topic with interest and will be using AliBrite on a nug I found recently. Davsgold once you have neutralised the nugget of residual acid what's the next step I mean when is it safe to handle the gold?

Cheers GG

Yep mate, when finished with the hot boiling water and the Bi Carb, just cool it off in cold water and all good to handle.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down